Broke My Cladding

cwest94

I went out to open my windows to let the truck air out some and when I opened the passenger side door to open the rear vent window, the cladding on the front door went into the front finder and broke of a chunk off the cladding on the door and rubbed the paint off the cladding on the front fender.

The temps have been in record breaking 90's with high humidity for the past 5 days, so I'm sure beteen the temps and the fact that the truck sits in the sun all day long, the cladding must of expanded and moved resulting in me breaking the cladding.

Seeing the warranty expired a year ago and I cant afford to fix it, guess it's going to stay like this. Maybe my friends are right, maybe I should sell it since I never drive it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't sell it. This truck is worth hanging on to IMO. I plan to keep mine forever. When the engine goes, just replace it and keep driving.

:withstupid: Keep your eyes on the 'for sale' section, the pieces you need may pop up soon, who knows.

I went out to open my windows to let the truck air out some and when I opened the passenger side door to open the rear vent window, the cladding on the front door went into the front finder and broke of a chunk off the cladding on the door and rubbed the paint off the cladding on the front fender.

The temps have been in record breaking 90's with high humidity for the past 5 days, so I'm sure beteen the temps and the fact that the truck sits in the sun all day long, the cladding must of expanded and moved resulting in me breaking the cladding.

Seeing the warranty expired a year ago and I cant afford to fix it, guess it's going to stay like this. Maybe my friends are right, maybe I should sell it since I never drive it.

I know its not the heat.....mine has been in heat well over 100 degrees and my cladding is still fine

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

Ya, I'll keep an eye open on this site for any cladding that's for sale. I'm just getting frustrated to hell and back. I cant drive it because I cant afford to fill up the gas tank, so it sits for a month or two at a time till I get enough money saved up to put gas in it. My friends just think thats dumb of me and keep talking me into selling it and buy something I could afford to put gas in and so forth. But to them, a car is just a car, they dont understand my attachment to the SS and no matter what I tell them to try and make them understand, they still dont.

I know I would regret it till the day I died if I sold it, so I'll be keeping it. I just get frustrated about something going wrong or breaking on a truck I never drive, I try my hardest to keep it looking like it did when I first saw it sitting on the show room floor.

So you guys dont think the cladding is shifting around from sitting out in the direct sun and heat all the time would of caused the cladding to shift around some? Right now I cant open the passenger side door, I cant see how to adjust the door cladding to stop rubbing into the fender.

Edited by cwest94 (see edit history)

yeah a bunch of people are selling the cladding. there are like three pieces of self stick tape on the cladding if you open my door the top and bottom ones are attached but you can see the middle one is not even stuck to the truck anymore. guess mine will be falling off soon too

I have 4k miles and five months of warranty left, I took my truck in last week for just this problem. I also had paint peeling off my cladding. I am told the cladding is taped on, but it's also bolted on too.

I feel your pain about the cladding. Mine did the same exact thing. I had to shave a half moon section out of the pass. door piece to allow the door to open. I got an estimate of $400 to have it replaced and painted. that was 3 years ago, and i'm still driving it like that and waiting to find the right deal or have the money to do it right and get the repair warranty. i bought the truck used (no warranty) in August of 05. I used to park it so that the sun was on the passenger side and within a month the cladding screwed up. I"ve since been parking the opposite way so the sun hits the driver side. No problems on that side, so why does it seem to be consistent with the passenger side hitting? Seems like a mfg defect? I bitched about it to the dealer, but all that got me was some therapy. I hate to think that if I do get t replaced, it may do the same thing. I guess at some point, I had to accept the "minor" issues that seem to be inherint in these trucks cause I love it too much to consider parting with it. Sorry, this probably doesn 't help much other than--welcome to the club.