Vortech Question

hey guys been on here 4 a while and all but now im thinkin of getting a vortech put in i found one on superchargers.com for about 5k... well i have a 04 ss and just hit 42000miles it woulda been at about 38000 but i jsut made a trip from alaska to phoenix, arizona lol... well what im wondering if since i got that many miles... would i have to do anything to the tranny or the eng? or would it be alrright for me to just install it on the motor?? im prob not gona do it myself cuz iv never done it b4 but i do work on multimillion dollar f-16's so this cant be that hard :) any of u folks in california/arizona wana help me?????

No You dont have too many miles.

Yes, it is more difficult then what you do on f-16's.

Yes, Your tranny will die, if you like to get in the throttle alot.

Anything else? LOL :jester:

~Danny

so what do u recommend i do?? i dont wana kill my only dd... my daily rider(motorcycle) needs new tires pretty soon lol and when i do have it set up id like to go to the tracks here in az and race it... can u give me a list of things i need to make it complete>??? and it doesnt blow up on me lol

The Tranny's in our trucks are the weakest links and when you start adding major power adders you will more then likely hurt them... Many have had good luck and lengevity out of their trannys with a few small mods, shift kit, servos, and a larger cooler, guess it just depends on how you drive and the way your truck feels but these are good mods even without a s/c: Me and some of the other SS guys just put a vortech on my truck a few weeks ago and I could see that if you've never done it before it could get pretty confusing, but I'm sure if you came out more this way out to socal you could find some guys to help you get it on... I would think your engine should be fine as long as you have a good tune and stay within a reasonable amount of boost... You'll also need a new fuel pump and bigger injectors...

The Tranny's in our trucks are the weakest links and when you start adding major power adders you will more then likely hurt them... Many have had good luck and lengevity out of their trannys with a few small mods, shift kit, servos, and a larger cooler, guess it just depends on how you drive and the way your truck feels but these are good mods even without a s/c: Me and some of the other SS guys just put a vortech on my truck a few weeks ago and I could see that if you've never done it before it could get pretty confusing, but I'm sure if you came out more this way out to socal you could find some guys to help you get it on... I would think your engine should be fine as long as you have a good tune and stay within a reasonable amount of boost... You'll also need a new fuel pump and bigger injectors...

the kit come with the correct injectors and fuel pump.

Yeah I'd build the tranny before installing the s/c. I'd hate to spend all that money to go fast, only to have it sit in a shop to get the tranny rebuilt a couple weeks after haha.

o ok kool ima go talk to a shop here in az called arizona speed and marine and talk it over with them :) i just got a bonus for moving from alaska 2 arizona sooooo im gona use it....

ASM? Same company that makes the headers right? if so they should do quality work! and daym i need to move from here to arizona. The move itself would be a bonus to me haha

Yeah I'd build the tranny before installing the s/c. I'd hate to spend all that money to go fast, only to have it sit in a shop to get the tranny rebuilt a couple weeks after haha.

ASM? Same company that makes the headers right? if so they should do quality work! and daym i need to move from here to arizona. The move itself would be a bonus to me haha

I got some asm headers... And working on a multi million twirly bird like a f-16 is lame should work on a real hog of a jet.... and by hogs i mean he a-10... You can do the install yourself just take your time and methodical about it all. Think as if you were the one flying the jet you were working on. You would take extra time.....wait thats not true cause i would just duct tape it all together and jump in i know it can take it... :jester:

I wouldn't worry about the miles. You can install it yourself the hardest part is tapping the oil pan for the supercharger oil return line, other that that is all nuts and bolts. I don't know how set you are on the Vortech but you might consider a Procharger kit it's a self contained unit meaning self lubricated no oil lines. The install would be much quicker and easier. Don't forget to upgrade the trans.

Edited by kisthisSS (see edit history)