Please Help Tranny Problems

I have a 2003 SS. Put a Magna Charger on it and since then have been through 3 trannies. First time the 2-4 band went out. After that happend i had the tranny built up with corvette survo, cavlar 2-4 band, Z-Pack, Shift kit (aggressive, shifted hard), and upgraded the stall coverter. That lasted 90 days and the rear planetary shaft snapped in half. After this i had 2500 stall and the tranny cooler also upgraded and they put in a better low planetary shaft. Also softened the 1-2 shift. Last night I was going from 75mph to 110mph and the tranny just quite working like it went into neutral. Need help, how hard is it to put the L80E tranny in and is it that much stronger or what else can u put in the L60E. As bad as it sound im ready to give up on the SS, dont want to but i cant afford to drop a tranny every month. Any suggestions would be awsome especially around the colorado springs - denver area. Thanks guys!!!!

Can you describe the noise the trans is making? Its also possible your awd transfer case input shaft stripped its teeth. I just did that myself. The z-packs are not the best to have. Also, who's tuning are you running? Did you get all of the trans line pressures set back to stock? The tune is just as important to trans life as the parts put in it.

Is your speedo moving when you put it in drive and give it gas? Even though the truck may not move?

Whos stall converter are you running? Running the truck hard up 110mph, if it was a weak converter, it could have failed, or sent clutch material into the trans.

Describe the sounds and things you heard when it broke, and after it broke. Did you hear a loud popping sound?

Also, the harder the shifting, not necessarily the best for hard parts.

Do you know if the trans builder went through and blocked off the accumalator pistons?

What shift kit did they put in it?

I'm not a trans expert, but answering many of these questions will help many of us help you.

4L80e's are blowing up in performance applications also, so its not a guaranteed salvation.

Lastly, you need to find a trans builder is willing to stand behind their work. I am having my trans rebuilt right now from stock behind a maggie and the builder is giving me, are you ready for this? 2 YEAR 24,000 MILE WARRANTY!!! I already have it in writing. Direct from the owner of the shop. He promises it will last 24,000 miles no matter what I throw at it. FLT, performabuilt, and many more stand behind their products for 6months to a year at least as well with very cheap freshen ups afterwards.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

i went through the same process as you... blew 3 trannies on my 112 maggie... then i opted for the 4l80e swap...

mine was fully built from performabuilt with ck performance billet parts... I have a complete tranny build / swap thread starting soon...

BTW - the build/swap will also be in truckin' magazine too... stay tuned!

a couple of things to remember, the 80e is about 150lbs heavier than the 65, and it will cut into your HP tremendously... plus you will have to get a swap kit and a new tune.

there is a good write up about it on the home page over at ls1trucks.com (nelson performance's forums)

also, what size wheels are you running? Did you change gears yet?

if quite a few of us are running mid 11's on a 65 there is no reason a maggie on a stock 6.0 cant have a trans that will last. id suggest you call or go to a reputable 4l65 performance builder and have a good tuner or get your trans vacum modulated. flt has a great service and trans that have proven to hold. your tune is the key to longevity and so is the shift pressures.

if quite a few of us are running mid 11's on a 65 there is no reason a maggie on a stock 6.0 cant have a trans that will last. id suggest you call or go to a reputable 4l65 performance builder and have a good tuner or get your trans vacum modulated. flt has a great service and trans that have proven to hold. your tune is the key to longevity and so is the shift pressures.

:withstupid::cheers:

Also, Check you fluid levels and keep in mind synthetic isn't always the best choice for a built 65E. KEEP THOSE Tranny TEMPS COOL!

Their is no need to go vacume modulated. Yea, Z packs suck. Its a glorified dodge A 604 clutch linning on one side. wears out very very fast. I have seen a few output shafts explode on a few of them. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run a 300m shaft. One of the Things that make these trans last is a Fast shift not nessarly a hard shift. I have a built trans in my truck and i have had it in use for 4 years and 40k!! I did have it refreshed before i put it in my new truck , but it didn,t need it. Old truck ( std cab long bed 4x4) it was in made 485 hp (13.6 @ 95 mph w/ 1.980 60 fts). I was not nice to that trans every day of its life. :devil: Shifted better than stock under normal driving. WOT is Quick and firm. :thumbs: