Lean Cruise Mode And Octane Levels

lilindy500

I got HP tuners and have been playing around with it. I turned on lean cruise mode from 55mph to 80mph. Now what percentage am I safe to cut it back? 10%? 20%? My AFR was set at 14.68 at all percentage of throttle input. Also my high octane fuel table and my low octane fuel tables are exactly the same. I imagine the high octane should have a higher timing than the low. Anyone have the stock high and low octane tables in hptuners for a 2003 silverado ss?

The magic number is 15.2 to 15.3 to 1 in the 6-8 cells that the truck operates in during freeway/low-load cruise; you have to use a wideband to verify this, if you are too lean you loose efficiency (the truck has to open the throttle more to stay up to speed).

- Mr. P. :)

I've been reading hptuner forums and the lean cruise won't work on my truck anyway cause it was from the states. They said you need a PCM out of a 04 GTO or something to have lean cruise work? Anyone know if its doable with my ss? Or do I have to jsut adjust the AFR?

I've been reading hptuner forums and the lean cruise won't work on my truck anyway cause it was from the states. They said you need a PCM out of a 04 GTO or something to have lean cruise work? Anyone know if its doable with my ss? Or do I have to jsut adjust the AFR?

Yes some of the PCMs did have an actual "lean cruise mode" programmed into them, which was deactivated in the US due to increased NOx emissions; just log which 6-8 cells of the fueling table the vehicle operates in during low-load cuise and change them to 15.2:1 - you might have to also adjust the power enrichment tables too...

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

There's also a "pseudo" lean cruise mode explained on HPT forums, basically changing the target voltage on the O2 in cruise mode/cells. I know it was worth a bit on my SSS.

For the record, the lean cruise tables did nothing at all on my truck, so the OS is simply ignoring those tables. If you load an Aussie OS, then it can recognize the tables from what I've read.

I too find it easier to tune a snowmobile, simply because I've been doing that longer. :cheers:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)