Blown Trans/ Output Shafts?

Hi,

New to this site.. I have been hearing so much about so many performance upgrades being installed on the Silverado SS AWD trucks. I myself own a 2003 SS AWD with about 60,000 miles clocked so far, and currently about to install a slew of go fast goodies, Radix Supercharger, trick flow heads, crane cam, rockers, lifters, and all the other go fast goodies. I have also been hearing some concerning issues regarding the transmission output shaft? Can anyone provide some more info as to why these parts are failing?

Can it be the insanely aggressive shift kits, or the ridiculous huge stall torque converters that are being installed?? I have witnessed many performance upgrades without damaging the transmission, but have also heard many nightmare stories. If anyone has some light to shed on the subject please do.

What precautions can be taken, what upgrades should be considered for the trans if these powerful performance parts are being installed on the motor?? We all know that GM never intended to have the LQ9 fitted with a monster induction system cramming gobs of air down the hole, as well as cams, etc, etc.. But can it be done without breaking the tranny?

Thanks for your replies..

The output shaft of the 4x4 (AWD) transmission is more prone to failure because that shaft is twice the length of the 2WD shaft, hence it twists more like a torsion spring and because of the material it is made from it will shatter, also another factor of output shaft failure is that the factory has redesigned the lubrication passages through the output shaft and the relocated/extra holes are in the wrong place, reliability-wise. I've snapped the output shaft on my truck but not from too much power, rather it was because my front axle bound-up solid at 45+ mph and the drivetrain locked-up solid! But yes agressive converter & 550+ lb-ft & hard launch -or- hammering 1-2 shift is beyond the capability of the stock shaft for sure and the AWD trucks having 100% traction does not help the issue. If you are interested in a replacement shaft tooled from 300M steel we can get that for you, PM me if you are interested and we'll will get you a price, expect it to be in the $500-600 range for the output shaft; another option is to get a stock shaft that has been cryo-treated and then hardened, it's still stock steel but does hold-up better and these are on the market for about $250-300 each. And FWIW we (HPM) have never seen stock output shaft failures on our Radix-equipped trucks...

Mr. P. :)

ps - welcome to the forum :chevy:

pps - I am assuming from your username you are in the Brooklyn area, you need to visit Chris Kokonis (CK Performance) in Long Island City, he can also sell you a similar output shaft but he machines his from 4340 chromoly.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Hey Mr. P,

Thanx for the info. I am originally from Bklyn but now residing in San Francisco.. West Coast.. I would definitely be interested to upgrade the output shaft.. If I am going to spend all the time and money installing the performance parts, I should also do some preventative measures with regards to the transmission.

Do you have any other recommendations with regards to beefing up the drivetrain??

so radix is the way to go??? lol :)

Its a great supercharger, bolts on easily, comes in a complete package. I bought mine from florida even though i was in alaska. the guy lowered the price down to $4,800, but that might of been because i just got back from iraq. The charger has great torque gains in 1st and 2nd gear. if u ask anyone its not the greatest after that, but nothing a good tune and a pulley cant change. there is a great post on here where they compare all the chargers and turbo kits, check them out. http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13056

Anything is better then nothing. in my case i blew my 2-4 band 1st. so i had the tranny built up with corvette survo, cavlar 2-4 band, Z-Pack, Shift kit (aggressive, shifted hard), and upgraded the stall coverter. then blew the low planetary shaft. On these trannies just seems if u dont do the hole 9 yards something breaks. But if you do have someone build one for you tell them the truth about how you drive and make sure they will cover the warrenty, i got screwed on that one.

:uhoh: Here we go again! It all depends what you mean by "way to go"... each kit has their pros and cons.

i know mr. p i was just pullin ur leg........ :) btw im going with a radix.... w/e i can get the balls to order it from superchargersonline.com ... know ne-place cheaper :) oh and i just found out we have Arizona speed and marine here (asm) w00t w00t!!

alaska u say ........ were u in ft rich or elmendorf??....... i just moved to luke afb.... nice and hot 2 ride a bike in :)

Edited by 10zin (see edit history)

...:) btw im going with a radix.... w/e i can get the balls to order it from superchargersonline.com ... know ne-place cheaper :) oh and i just found out we have Arizona speed and marine here (asm) w00t w00t!!...

ASM is a very good shop.

And I'll let you in on a little-known secret we were just told recently, we (HPM) are the second largest Magnacharger retailer/installer in Texas, and the largest Magnacharger dealer *by far* in north Texas - call us, we'll do you right. :thumbs:

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

ASM is a very good shop.

And I'll let you in on a little-known secret we were just told recently, we (HPM) are the second largest Magnacharger retailer/installer in Texas, and the largest Magnacharger dealer *by far* in north Texas - call us, we'll do you right. :thumbs:

c the only prob i have with that is im not in TEXAS!! :( i was in wichita falls when i went through tech school 4 airforce.... so yea can u fly over here and install it lol how are ur prices lookin 4 a good radix...