Transmission Not Shifting Smoothly

Also, when cold, going from park to reverse, and to drive, she wants to "lunge" backward or foward.

It all started about two weeks ago. Pulling out of my driveway, the whole truck shoock going from 1st to 2nd. I wasn't accelerating fast, and she didn't do it shifting into any of the other the gears. Got her hot enough, and checked the fluid level. It was a little low, so I added some. The problem went away, untill yesterday. I have rechecked the level, and it is fine.

There isn't any metal on the dip stick, nor does it smell like the fluid is burnt. There isn't any strange/new noises coming from the tranny either.

One thing that did happen, was I wasn't pushing down hard enough on the brake to keep her still while shifting from park.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it ok to drive her in this condition? Or am I asking for more trouble?

Edited by Berry (see edit history)

She only has 35,000 miles, no performance mods.

I'm not sure if you saw my post about my tranny problems, but it sounds like we may have been experiencing the same thing. My truck would only shift to second right at 20mph no matter where the rpms were. I dropped the pan yesterday and found a bunch of metal shavings on the magnet and burnt fluid. I'm going to have to replace the whole tranny, but I have a supercharger and I think that's what ate up first gear. Since you're still under warranty you can just take it to the dealer and they fix free of charge right? It is pretty wierd that it's having problems with no performance mods tho... I'm assuming your fluid level is good so i'd just drop the pan (25-30min. job), change the filter and fluid and inspect the pan magnet for any metal shavings or chunks

I'm going to have to call the dealer, she is three years old, so the warranty might be done! I bought it used two years ago, so I'm not 100 % sure when the warrant is up! Thanks for the info. I've been using the search button, but have come up empty.

I'd say just get up under there and drop the pan so you have an idea of what is going on. You may want to invest in one of those oil extractors where you put the tube down in where the tranny fluid dipstick is and pump as much as you can out first so that when you turn the bolts lose on the pan fluid doesn't spill everywhere. hopefully the magnet in your pan doesn't have any shavings and you can just replace the filter, gasket and fluid and she'll run good. Or just take it to a shop and have them flush your tranny. That would probably work the best.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be getting a lil dirty tomorrow! It's all good, I've been looking for an excuse to "get to know" the SS better. I haven't even changed the oil in her......that didn't come out right......the oil has been changed, every 3,000 miles, I wasn't the person changeing it is what I meant.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be getting a lil dirty tomorrow! It's all good, I've been looking for an excuse to "get to know" the SS better. I haven't even changed the oil in her......that didn't come out right......the oil has been changed, every 3,000 miles, I wasn't the person changeing it is what I meant.

lol... you'll see she'll grow to love you more when you are the one under her... haha that doesn't sound right either... it's more fun doing it yourself. You'll see. Good luck. I hope you get her fixed.

Listen to me, going on like I know what I'm doing! 05superchargedsilverado, does your truck have the same tranny? If so, do you know what the filter # is? So when I go to the parts store I know what I'm looking for.

Berry just read this. You should be able to get the filter and gasket at autozone on the plymounth Ave.

I called LaCava & Sowersby, any where between $40 - $100 for the parts needed.

The dealership wont work with you on the 12 days? Sometimes they will. I know things have been getting a little tight for them though. I am sure you asked them though right? Maybe call another dealer and tell them the problem has been occuring for a couple of weeks now and this is the first time you have had available to look into it with them? Just a thought. I had a S10 ZR2 that went out of warranty by 2,000 miles and they replaced the u joints on it for free. granted u joints arent anywhere near what a new trans costs though...