Transfer Case Change?

I have a 2003 SS Silverado AWD. I also have a spare transfer case from my 1998 Yukon SUV. Has anyone done a swap to convert their AWD to a switchable transfer case? I took a VERY quick look underneath, and they looked about the same. What would I need if this is possible? Would I just need a dash switch, or is this all part of the ECU? Can Zippy make the computers work together?

I have a 2003 SS Silverado AWD. I also have a spare transfer case from my 1998 Yukon SUV. Has anyone done a swap to convert their AWD to a switchable transfer case? I took a VERY quick look underneath, and they looked about the same. What would I need if this is possible? Would I just need a dash switch, or is this all part of the ECU? Can Zippy make the computers work together?

I apoligize if this question has been asked a hundred times. I'm on my 14th beer and don't have the patience to sort through previous posts.

i have been pndering this idea as well just for benefit of doing burnouts and being able to switch any time i wish

only downfall , is in my case i would need a new rear end that could take the power of being in 2wd. and also having more stress on the frotn diff when in 4hi due to the 50/50 power split unlike the awd x fer case which is i beleive 38/62 split.

if anyone knows anything i would also appreciate it also will the stock sriveshafts be usuable? id still upgrads the rear just in case .

I love this amount of torque, but hate that I can't smoke the tires. I also use this truck for work, so fuel mileage wouldn't be a bad thing.

I bought a 2 year extended warranty, so I can't do motor work(heads,super charger,nitrous,etc.)until that's up. So, I need any other improvements I can get.

this would be nice to find out if anyone else has done this or looked into this. I also have a transfer case out of a z71 chevy pickup that i can get a hold of to try. Im sure the wiring is all there...i havent looked, just guessing.

our TC is a little shorter or a little longer, can't remember which way, Rick @ synergy was going to take out his 4x4 transfer case and swap in our AWD unit, but he would have to change his drive lines so he didn't do it, I know our units are completely mechanical so the PCM or any other part of the truck doesn't even know its there, I don't know if it would be different with a 4x4 TC

Mark

With some wiring changes it could be done. All you'd have to do is get the wiring, transfercase module, transfercase switch, and calibration (easy enough) to make it all work. If I had an SSS this is what I'd have already have done. I'm not big on constant AWD. Do you really need the front end hooked in while you're just cruising around...

• 2 weeks later...

the amount of work and re wiring involved would make this conversion pointless. transfercase control module would have to be added and wired into the ecm and encoder motor. encoder motor itself would have to be wired, and we're not talking about a few pwr and ground wires either, 6-8 at the encoder motor, and between 20-30 at the control module. plus the selector switch, witch is 7 or 8. possible? absolutely. practicle? i hope you've got a close friend who's a gm tech!

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this idea after driving in the snow for the first time with this truck. IT SUCKED! It doesn't have enough pull from the front end. I read somewhere the ratio is 32/68 as opposed to 50/50 in the 4WD models. Is this true? I assume this is so you can steer on dry pavement?The last post said you needed a bunch of wiring and a trans ECM. THis question is probably for ZIPPY. Would it be most cost effective and less of a hassle to get a complete set up(TC,wiring, ecm) from a bone yard? Can you program a stock 4WD ECM to run the SSS engine? If so, does it have to be a certain vintage or model # ECM?