Nhra Shortens Race Length At Track

They are shortening the race to 1000' instead of the 1/4 ...I know its for safety reasons but not sure what I think about it..

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30355.htm

That was a very tragic accident (I was there to see it) and I half agree with the NHRA interm controls until they figure out what to really do. Most of the tracks were built when the cars were going alot slower then they do today.

New_Jersey_044.jpg

New_Jersey_045.jpg

Yes this is a good idea for a temporary means of preventing another tragedy. Just like NASCAR did after Dale Earnhardt's :angel: demise, a lot of research is going to be done now. NASCAR went to the HANS/Hutchins device and soft walls to keep the drivers safe. NHRA needs to extend the shut down areas and sand pits to accomodate the higher speeds. Unfortunately the loss of Eric Medlin :angel: wasn't enough last year, we had to lose another world class driver before they finally decided to take action.

RIP Scott Kalitta :angel:

My only question is will this affect us weekend racers that love the 1/4???

It shouldn't, the 1000' rule only applies to Top Fuel and Funny Car, Pro stock will still be running the 1320.....shouldn't effect us either. :chevy:

Same thing i was thinking.

Those pics reminded me of the driving force episode when ashley was first thinking about getting into funny car..John was talking to her in the garage about how dangerous it could be and Ashley was leaning on Eric's car and you saw his name all around during that scene..obviously before it happened but still kind of surrreal seeing it after the fact.