Dumping Stock Muffler

TX-SS

Hey guys, I am looking at dumping the stock muffler on my SS. I want to just cut the stock piping after the muffler and put turndowns on the muffler. What size turndowns would I need to buy?

i would just change muffler too while your at it :chevy:

I would like to, but Im a tad bit short on cash at the moment. So i just need (2) 2-1/2" turndowns?

Here you can see my dumped exhaust, if you can take it to a muffler shop, i had it done for 20bucks and took them less than 10 minutes, they just took extra pipe and bent it. The turndown tips i have seen are around 60-80+ also im going to paint them black for a more stealthy look (even tho their not visible now)

P6270356.jpg

Incorrect, you will need 2 turndowns........the stock muffler has a dual 2-1/2 exit that Y's into a single 3-1/2 tailpipe.

...BUT...the one is for a 'resonating chamber'...there is no exhaust flow through it.

The one that need a turndown will have black soot, or exhaust residue in the pipe once it's cut off. The other will be more or less, clean.

I ran mine like that for a while (I like the no tip look)...and it sounded a little deeper / louder outside...the change wasn't noticeable in the cab.

- Brian

:withstupid: IMO it would be retarded to buy 2 of them (turndown tips). Like i mentioned take it to a shop and save yourself some cash and time. Their is no need to spend your money on tips since you wont be able to see them just have some pipe bended and wala lol. Edited by NTMD8R_SS (see edit history)

I just cut my exhaust after the muffler after the hanger....didnt put a turn down or nothing, its sorta a free mod if you have a cutting tool or sawz all....does sound a little deeper but barely.....and the exhaust coming out of the muffler isnt really hot enough to burn anything i live in south texas and havnt started any fires yet with the exhaust pipe going straight back.....i say dont spend money on somthing you dont really need, you cant see it once its cut anyways heres a pic of mine.......

100_2937.jpg

Hey guys, I am looking at dumping the stock muffler on my SS. I want to just cut the stock piping after the muffler and put turndowns on the muffler. What size turndowns would I need to buy?

I did something similar as to what your talkin about except i cut the stock muffler out and replaced it with 2 3" two chamber flowmaster placed upright back into the factory tip and it sounds absolutely great. Runs better too..... GOOD LUCK :chevy:

• 2 weeks later...

I know that you guys told me it would be cheaper to not buy tips, but i think i might anyway. I would need the 2.5" correct?

Would these work?

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-muffl...5A2492A0A0.aspx

Edited by TX-SS (see edit history)