Higher tension torsion bars

SuperSport

Hey guys just curious if anyone knew if the torsion bars in the 4x4's or 2500's would fit in our truck to stiffen up the ride in the front. i want to get this truck around the corners a little better, on top of the polyurethane bushings i all ready put in.

Ben's right, sways are the way to go. That way you only get the stiffness you need when you need it, instead of all the time, which can be a drag. Even a 1/4 or an 1/8 inch larger bar over stock can make a difference. Brands to check out are Hotchkis, Hellwig, and Eibach.

The Avalanche guys looked into this, and I was told the 2500 series bars are keyed differently in a way that they'll lower the front on a 1500. I think the spring rates were the same.

This is between the two kinds of Avalanches though. I don't know if the bars from the truck series interchange, or if they're the same as the Av's.

The torsion bars in the SS are the same as the 4x4, and maybe the 2500. Stick with Ben's suggestions.....Getting rid of the sloppy Goodyear tires, and going with a smaller sidewall performance tire would help also.....Toyo Prozies or maybe Michelin Pilots if they have the size.....

I read that Sway Away is coming out with a set of t-bars for the full sized GM's. They're supposed to be 20% stiffer than OEM, and the keyed ends of the shafts are splined for MANY different keying positions.

I'm very interested... I'm pretty ticked off at the stock suspension setup.... see my stock sway bar post in this section (in a few minutes).

I read that Sway Away is coming out with a set of t-bars for the full sized GM's. They're supposed to be 20% stiffer than OEM, and the keyed ends of the shafts are splined for MANY different keying positions.

I'm very interested... I'm pretty ticked off at the stock suspension setup.... see my stock sway bar post in this section (in a few minutes).

Where did you read this marc? I went to their web site and all I saw were applications for mini-trucks and VW's.

Yeah, I checked this morning too...

I get this free Four-Wheel Adventure magazine in the mail...... Up towards the front of the mag, they have a 'new products' section that mentioned this.

They said the bars would work well in lifted or lowered rigs, that want more performance than the stock bars could offer. I can quote it word for word tonight, if you want...

No need, just let us know what you find out if/when you talk with them.

I may not even wait, I'm close to getting the Hotchkis setup for my Avalanche. It should be a significant improvement over stock, from 1-1/4 -> 1-7/16 in front and from 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 in back. Still too much lean in the corners for my taste. The Eibachs and McGaughys spindles stiffened things up considerably but I'm after more, I know it can be done because I rode in a Tahoe that cornered like it was on rails and had the Hotchkis bars on it....

i was thinking about getting the hotchiks for my SS, but with a lowered truck they say that their bars won't work. so i may either lower or do the sway bars...probably go with the lowering kit...

From what I remember about test driving the SS (I drove three of them), they corner pretty well already. If the guys here are successful at putting in the lowering kit I would be tempted to go in that direction.

Archived