Radix Question

The gear oil in the snout? I believe it has a service life of something crazy like 80K or better.

Here is what mine looked like after only like 2k miles. I had to change the oil due to a broken snout shaft. I am kind of glad I did change it WAY early though...

radix_oil.jpg

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

The gear oil in the snout? I believe it has a service life of something crazy like 80K or better.

Here is what mine looked like after only like 2k miles. I had to change the oil due to a broken snout shaft. I am kind of glad I did change it WAY early though...

post-1292-1216062069_thumb.jpg

gez kevin surely you have better things to do than pick your nose and snap pictures of what you dig out :lol: j/k buddy

gez kevin surely you have better things to do than pick your nose and snap pictures of what you dig out :lol: j/k buddy

Hey, it could be worse :uhoh::jester:

im alil curious how ya managed to brake the shaft?? :confused:

I had a 2.9" pulley from Wester's Garage on there and it basically fused on there. I used a three arm puller to take it off and the pressure on the shaft was too much and it split like a banana split. :sigh: There was really no other way to get that puppy off so I was ready for the worst. It cost me $200 from magnacharger to replace, came with the oil and gasket sealer too.

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Damn, so the oiling system should probably be changed every 6000-ish, from lookin at that picture, hmmm...

No. Oil looks like it is "bad" sometimes just a few miles after driving. Next time you go for an oil change, look at your motor oil a couple hundred miles after driving it...it will be black and nasty looking, not honey brown and semi transparent like it is fresh out of the bottle. Unless you get contaminents in the snout oil somehow (ie breaking the shaft, etc. ) it does not need to be changed for at least 50-60k miles or more. I've had two magnuson or "eaton" based blowers. I had an M90 that GM facotry installs on the 97-03 grand prixs and other models. GM recommended servicing only every 100k miles. I've had my M112 radix for over 20k miles and have not changed the oil on it once and have had no issues. Dont over analyze it. If you buy a brand new system, you likely wont change the oil at all, you will probably either demod or sell the truck prior to needing to do that.