Readiness Monitors

wody

Since I am in a bind trying to get the monitors set, I went to the DMV today and they gave me print outs for the drive cycles. My advice to everybody is an inactive code is better than clearing it and going through all this mess. Get your smog done then clear it so you have another year to get these monitors ready. Hope this info helps someone out!

Silverado SS 6.0L 345 HP V8 (N) GAS-FI-N

ALL MONITORS - COMPLETE SYSTEM SET PROCEDURE - AVALANCE, EXPRESS, SILVERADO, SSR, SUBURBAN, TAHOE, TRAILBLAZER, 4.0L, 5.3L, 6.0L (GASOLINE, CNG)

Notes:

1. Use this drive cycle when 2 or more or all readiness monitors are set to NO.

2. Preprogramming the scan tool will shorten test length.

Conditions:

1. BARO > 75 kPa; ECT 39-86 degrees F.

2. IAT 39-86 degrees F.

3. Difference between IAT and ECT 14 degrees F or less.

4. Battery 10-18V.

5. Fuel level 15-85%.

Steps:

1. Perform the I/M System Check. Failure to do so may result in difficulty in updating the monitor(s) status to YES.

2. Turn ignition ON, verify enabling conditions, then turn ignition OFF for 5 minutes. Pre-program the scan tool with vehicle information before turning ignition ON. Start the engine and do not turn it OFF for the remainder of the test.

3. Turn OFF all accessories and set the parking brake. A/T should be in P and M/T should be in N. Idle the engine for 2 minutes.

4. Accelerate at part throttle to 55 mph and maintain speed until engine reaches operating temperature. This could take 10 minutes depending on coolant temperature at start-up. Continue operating for an additional 6 minutes.

5. Accelerate at part throttle to 45-55 mph and maintain speed for an additional 2 minutes.

6. Decelerate to 0 mph.

7. Idle for 2 minutes with foot on brake pedal, A/T in D or M/T in N with clutch depressed.

8. Access the readiness status on the scan tool. Perform the individual drive cycle for any monitor that does not display YES (monitor is not ready)

9. Check for DTC's. Any DTC's will require diagnosis and repair.

10. Following repairs and clearing DTC's, perform Steps 1-10 again or perform steps for individual monitors that are not set.

________________________________________________________________________________

EVAP MONITOR W/O SERVICE BAY TEST - ALL MODELS, 4.3L, 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 8.1L

Notes:

1. Extremely high or low ambient temperatures may prevent the EVAP monitor from running.

2. This test will only initiate from a cold start. 17 hours must elapse since last drive cycle.

3. Fuel level should not increase > 9% during drive cycle.

Conditions:

1. BARO > 74 kPa; Start-up ECT and IAT 39-86 degrees F.

2. Difference between start-up ECT and IAT < 14.4 degrees F.

3. Battery 10-18V.

4. Fuel level 15-85%.

5. Engine must run at least 10 minutes and travel at least 3.5 miles.

Steps:

1. Ensure all conditions have been met. Turn OFF all accessories. Perform the I/M System Check.

2. Perform the EVAP Service Bay Test.

3. Start the engine and idle for 2 minutes. Do not turn OFF during test unless instructed to do so.

4. Accelerate at part throttle to 45 mph and maintain speed until engine reaches operating temperature. This may take 8-10 minutes depending on ECT at start-up.

5. Continue at 45 mph for 6 more minutes after the engine reaches operating temperature, or until EVAP monitor updates to YES.

6. Decelerate to 0 mph and idle for 2 minutes. The ambient temperature should be 39-86 degrees F and the ECT at shutdown should be at least 158 degrees F.

7. Turn the ignition OFF and back ON again after 1 hour has elapsed.

8. Repeat Steps 1-7 two more times. (See Notes)

9. If the EVAP monitor is not ready, using a scan tool, access the DTC information. If there are any failed DTC's, diagnose and repair the DTC's. If no failed DTC's, go to next step.

10. Determine which DTC's are required to run in order to complete the test.

11. Using a scan tool, observe the Not Ran Since Code Cleared display. Determine which DTC's that are required to have run, and have not run, for a YES status to be displayed.

12. Enter the DTC in the specific DTC menu of the scan tool.

13. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions Required for Running Monitors. Repeat the procedure until the scan tool indicated the diagnostic test has run.

14. Repeat Steps 10-11 for any DTC's that have not run.

15. Check the I/M System Readiness display. If the EVAP system status is Not Ready, perform diagnosis and repair.

________________________________________________________________________________

CATALYST MONITOR- AVALANCHE, EXPRESS, SILVERADO, TAHOE, SUBURBAN, 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L

Conditions:

1. BARO > 70 kPa; ECT 158-248 degrees F.

2. Battery 11-18V.

Steps:

1. Perform the I/M System Check. Failure to do so may result in difficulty in updating the status to YES.

2. Ensure all conditions have been met. Turn OFF all accessories.

3. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 2 minutes.

4. Accelerate at part throttle to 55 mph and maintain speed for 8 minutes.

5. Decelerate to 0 mph. Idle for 2 minutes with brake pedal depressed, A/T in D or M/T in N with clutch pedal depressed.

6. If the Catalyst Monitor is YES, go to Step 14.

7. Using a scan tool, access the DTC information. If there are any failed DTC's, diagnose and repair DTC's.

8. Determine which DTC's are required, run in order to complete the test.

9. Using a scan tool, observe the Not Ran Since Code Cleared display. Determine which DTC's that are required to have run, and have not run, for a YES status to be displayed.

10. Enter the DTC in the specific DTC menu of the scan tool.

11. Be sure that all of the monitor Enabling Conditions have been met. Repeat the procedure until the scan tool indicated the diagnostic test has run.

12. Repeat Steps 9-10 for any DTC's that have not run.

13. Check I/M System Readiness display. If the AIR system status is YES, go to Step 14. If not, refer to service manual.

14. Check for emission-related DTC's. If any are present, go back to Step 7. If no DTC's are present, AIR system status is OK.

:cheers::pepsicheer::chevy:

those can be a a bitch , since it says 17 hours between cycles not many people shut down for that long between coming home and to work. looks like your going to have to do them on your days off, also your going to have to do them at night if it even gets below 86 degrees there. the evap one sucks .