Wheatley Or Blackbear Tuning?

tburkdoll

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you know where blackbear is located at? thanks :D

I'm in Alexandria, VA (much to my dismay) but will be back in the bay area before the end of October to do some tuning. I attended UC Davis, so it's not uncommon for me to be back that way. :cheers:

if he uses a laptop he will need tuning software to download the tune...and that is $$$

The software is free though, so that's not a problem. The scan cable just collects data, no flashing with it.

Edited by .justin. (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

I have the Borla Parts too and love it, my brother got his used from craigslist but I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Borla Parts Exhaust 14942, or you can try one of the sponsors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

I have not purchased a tune so far. It is between Wheatley, Blackbear and a local shop that can do live tunes (ESP).

Two things will make my decision. The one that wins is the one that can lock in the tune, so if I go to my dealership they cannot reset the tune to factory.

I am unable to purchase a tune now due to health issues but that is a big decision maker. I also do like the idea of the free re-tune.

I have spoken to wheatley and he is a very nice member. I would be glad to give hime my business, the timeing is just not right now for me to purchase.

I have not purchased a tune so far. It is between Wheatley, Blackbear and a local shop that can do live tunes (ESP).

Two things will make my decision. The one that wins is the one that can lock in the tune, so if I go to my dealership they cannot reset the tune to factory.

I am unable to purchase a tune now due to health issues but that is a big decision maker. I also do like the idea of the free re-tune.

I have spoken to wheatley and he is a very nice member. I would be glad to give hime my business, the timeing is just not right now for me to purchase.

locking it or not it sill can get erased when reflashed at the dealer... Professionsal tuners dont need to lock their tunes since there is nothing to hid....IMHO

Black Bear Performance :cheers:

Edited by WICKEDOWESIX (see edit history)

locking it or not it sill can get erased when reflashed at the dealer... Professionsal tuners dont need to lock their tunes since there is nothing to hid....IMHO

Thank you wicked, I thought they could be completely locked in with no chance of it being erased unless done so buy the tuner.

Thank you clearing that up.

Two things will make my decision. The one that wins is the one that can lock in the tune, so if I go to my dealership they cannot reset the tune to factory.......I also do like the idea of the free re-tune.

I have spoken to wheatley and he is a very nice member. I would be glad to give hime my business.......

Sounds to me like you made your mind up already by this statement.......Wheatley. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thank you wicked, I thought they could be completely locked in with no chance of it being erased unless done so buy the tuner.

Thank you clearing that up.

Unless a GM dealer tech is an absolute Einstein with a Tech 2(which 99% of them aren't), it is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for most dealer techs to crack a locked PCM. There are several reasons some tuners are now locking their PCM's.........the most prevalent being that many people are buying their own tuning software now, and are modifying professional custom tunes with very little if any knowledge of how to tune. Then they blow parts up, and blame the professional tuner for it. Think of it as write protecting an SD card or floppy disc, kind of like copyrighting your work so it cannot be hacked. Saying that a tuner would lock their PCM to "hide something", and that "professionals" don't need to do this is absolute :icon_bs: , don't start a war by inadvertently insulting a supporting vendor on this forum, who happens to one of the best tuners in the business. :wtf:

Let me repeat myself and say that A LOCKED PCM CANNOT BE FLASHED AND OVERWRITTEN BY THE DEALER UNLESS IT IS UNLOCKED BY THE PROFESSIONAL TUNER FIRST.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Sounds to me like you made your mind up already by this statement.......Wheatley. :thumbs::thumbs:

Unless a GM dealer tech is an absolute Einstein with a Tech 2(which 99% of them aren't), it is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for most dealer techs to crack a locked PCM. There are several reasons some tuners are now locking their PCM's.........the most prevalent being that many people are buying their own tuning software now, and are modifying professional custom tunes with very little if any knowledge of how to tune. Then they blow parts up, and blame the professional tuner for it. Think of it as write protecting an SD card or floppy disc, kind of like copyrighting your work so it cannot be hacked. Saying that a tuner would lock their PCM to "hide something", and that "professionals" don't need to do this is absolute :icon_bs: , don't start a war by inadvertently insulting a supporting vendor on this forum, who happens to one of the best tuners in the business. :wtf:

Let me repeat myself and say that A LOCKED PCM CANNOT BE FLASHED AND OVERWRITTEN BY THE DEALER UNLESS IT IS UNLOCKED BY THE PROFESSIONAL TUNER FIRST.

Absolute BS huh..... Yeah ok Dan... If thats what makes you sleep at night... I'm not even gonna start on this on this topic

Absolute BS huh..... Yeah ok Dan... If thats what makes you sleep at night... I'm not even gonna start on this on this topic

Oh thats it! I forgot Art, you know everything, right? You know everything, and I know nothing.......don't kid yourself......

If you have your PCM is Locked and the Dealer reflashs your PCM he can KILL the PCM . So you have to get a new one from the dealer . That is what I understand .