Question To Fish People Here

cwest94

I was just curious. Those of you who have fish tanks that you take pride in them, do you feel sad when one of your fish die?

A catfish that I had for 3 1/2 years died over night and I really liked the little guy. When I got him he was a year old and was getting abused by fish he was living with, so the guy took him to the fish store that I go to so that he could get a new home. When I saw him, all his fins were chewed up and his little antenna/feeler things in front of his mouth were almost all gone.

After having him for a couple weeks I started seeing his fins grow back and the little antenna/feeler things grow back. He then started to grow like crazy and was real healthy looking and very active.

I know some people think a fish is just a fish, but some of them have a personality to them. Everyday when I get home, the dog and cat come to greet me and when I walk into the room where the fish tank is, they come swimming right up to me and act all excited to see me, but there again, maybe it's just cause they want me to feed them.

The other fish I have are 4yrs old now, I hope they are not coming to the end of their life anytime soon.

Sorry for the strange post, I was just curious to know if others felt bad too.

Nothing wrong with getting attacted to a fish. I had some turtle for 7 years and I walked into the room with there tank in it and one of them was all limp on the bottom and I hurried and took it out. My heart dropped, it was such a strange feeling over such a small creature. Anyways, after sitting in the floor with it for a couple of minutes and petting it, the darn thing started to move. I was like what the hell, so I held its little head up and its legs came out and it could hold its head up on it own. I let it crawl around for a few minutes then put it back in and it acted like nothing ever happened.

So I would say its ok to show some emotion for your fish. The way I look at it a pet is a part of the family.

i once had a large 125 gallon salt water tank... i was as much into it as i am into my truck... meaning i spent buku money on it... anyways... i once had this large porcupine puffer that was about the size of a large grapefruit... whenever i was near the tank he would follow me around...

eventually i would stick my hand in the tank and he would swim over to me and i could pet the top of his head, he loved it... after some time he would swim over and sit in my hand and let me clean him, he was my little buddy... had iridescent brigh blue eyes... he never puffed up and was a very happy fish, the tank superstar...

it was a sad day when i moved 400 miles away, i could not take him on that trip, i had to sell all the fish in my tank, i didnt much care about the other fish, but selling the puffer made me sad... until i went out and spent the money on booze and hookers... LOL... JK.

i once had a large 125 gallon salt water tank... i was as much into it as i am into my truck... meaning i spent buku money on it... anyways... i once had this large porcupine puffer that was about the size of a large grapefruit... whenever i was near the tank he would follow me around...

eventually i would stick my hand in the tank and he would swim over to me and i could pet the top of his head, he loved it... after some time he would swim over and sit in my hand and let me clean him, he was my little buddy... had iridescent brigh blue eyes... he never puffed up and was a very happy fish, the tank superstar...

it was a sad day when i moved 400 miles away, i could not take him on that trip, i had to sell all the fish in my tank, i didnt much care about the other fish, but selling the puffer made me sad... until i went out and spent the money on booze and hookers... LOL... JK.

Puffers are very neat species of fish. I think the head of the puffer is damn cute. Specially with the bright blue eyes, and it always seems like they are smiling.

I currently have two saltwater aquariums. I have a sentimental attachment to my fish and corals. A couple months ago I had a baby "stubby" clownfish that got sucked up in the filter. I felt real bad for the little guy. On the other hand ,I get more depressed when I loose a coral that cost $75 :banghead:

But yeah, it is neat when you walk up to the tank and the fish come out to great you. Even if it is just for feeding. Still cool.

• 3 weeks later...

When we started our fish tank we had to buy damsels and leave them in the tank for the first 3 months so they could build up the bacteria. Out of the 15 or so we had the smallest one was my favorite i named him Just Enough and he out lived all the other damsels.....thats until the stupid lion fish ate him...I was super sad... A pet is a pet and no matter how small or how big it is it is still hard to see them go.