Tailights: Tint, Covers, Paint?

I'm looking to make my back tailights darker then only question is how? At first painting them looked the best but then i saw some tailight covers which looked great. Do the covers look as good as some painted lights would? Only positive to the covers is i can remove them.

spay tinted mine, you need a good coat of clear.. spraymax offers the the 2part clear in a rattle can which you have 24 hours to use.. we have used this and it turned out good, wet sand the clear for finished look. myself, i had mine cleared at a bodyshop and polished out. happen to know a friend that was painting some other parts and put them in, 2 coats of ppg's best clear, they look awesome.. but others on here suggest to color match them.. whichever you choose tinting your tailights makes them blend in and not stick out like a red thorn, except if you drive the red ones.. will post pics when i get off work.. pm me if you like..