Stay With The 2.9 Or Drop To A 2.8 For The Maggie

ok guys my goal is to join the 11 sec club...and im wanting to get some new 100mm idlers to help with the belt slipage.. and they just look killer...im just tryin to debate if i should drop down one more pulley size or not..what kinda gains will i see if i do..? and i know il be makin alot more heat if i go down.. which means i should probly go the meth route also. which i wanted to stay away from..but with my recent trips to the track im alil frusterated altho i know it was just bad weather. so i guess im just lookin for what my next mod should be

ok guys my goal is to join the 11 sec club...and im wanting to get some new 100mm idlers to help with the belt slipage.. and they just look killer...im just tryin to debate if i should drop down one more pulley size or not..what kinda gains will i see if i do..? and i know il be makin alot more heat if i go down.. which means i should probly go the meth route also. which i wanted to stay away from..but with my recent trips to the track im alil frusterated altho i know it was just bad weather. so i guess im just lookin for what my next mod should be

I'd follow Krambo's setup. I think he used the 2.8 pulley and ran meth. I think you have to if you want to get the most out of the maggie adn get into the 11's.

ya ive though about basily duplacating his setup..its a very strong setup thats proven to work..plus HOURSSSS of tuning that i need to get a handle on...im just worried about the extra heat. zippy wants to put the truck in to the 11s with out meth and on a 2.9 sounds to me he wants to challenge himself..haha which i would love.. i sure it would only do it in the right weather condions tho. i know theres alot left in the truck still.. i just dont know if theres anuf to get me to the 11s tho..the best ive got the truck was 12.59 with the 22s.. and when i ran the lil wheels that knocked off about 4 tenths.. so now im in range of the 11s i belive, i know theres so work to be done in the tune both zippy and mean05 have pointed that out. im just not confident anuf to do much with it my self yet. and i dont have headers yet.. im sure that will help also..no sure how much tho but its gotta help..lol

If your best is 12.3 without headers, I am sure headers can give you almost two tenths and zippy can find another tenth in the tune. It's not impossible or unreasonable to get there without running meth. Krambo did it his way, but its probably not the only way I am sure. Have you done any weight reduction? With headers, tuning, and a diet drop of 200-300lbs, you just might make it into the 11's. I would get the headers and have zippy work the tune, then see where you are at. If you are close, like 12.0X or 12.1X, then stick with what you have and work it out. I dont think dropping to a 2.8 will benefit you without meth. There comes a point where you get diminishing returns.

well i can agree with both your points...2.8 pulley is the limits of the 112 i belive.. and if i wasnt going to drop down..i think i would have to use meth for sure. as far as weight.. the truck weighs accoring to 131 dragway 5380 with me in it which is 200lbs..and thats with the 22s.. which are heavyyy...so with out me in it and with the lil wheels on its gotta be right around 5000.. which is pretty good for one of these trucks i think.. so about 5200ish with me in it and the lil wheels on.

i totaly agree with the demissing returns thats why i made this post..lol trying not to do that..haha

im thinkin headers and 100mm idlers might be my next step i know headers will make a good improvement.. i just wasnt sure how much ive never seen anyones times with a radix and then with radix and headers.. most people already have headers by the time they put on the blower

well i can agree with both your points...2.8 pulley is the limits of the 112 i belive.. and if i wasnt going to drop down..i think i would have to use meth for sure. as far as weight.. the truck weighs accoring to 131 dragway 5380 with me in it which is 200lbs..and thats with the 22s.. which are heavyyy...so with out me in it and with the lil wheels on its gotta be right around 5000.. which is pretty good for one of these trucks i think.. so about 5200ish with me in it and the lil wheels on.

i totaly agree with the demissing returns thats why i made this post..lol trying not to do that..haha

im thinkin headers and 100mm idlers might be my next step i know headers will make a good improvement.. i just wasnt sure how much ive never seen anyones times with a radix and then with radix and headers.. most people already have headers by the time they put on the blower

weight reduction can you get you a couple tenths. Have you tried any weight reduction? You can remove the tailgate, back seat, spare tire and run less gas in the tank and that should drop a few hundred lbs. I wonder if cutouts would help any? Anybody know if that will shave some time off with his setup?

well im not going to gut my truck and start pullin seats and everything out to see what happeneds.. ive got the basics out.. spare tire ..jacks..etc but i wanna do it in street trim..now if im at the track and im runnin 12.0X u better belive il start ripping everyting i can get my hands on to get that 11. time slip..hahaha

as far as cut outs.. i do have them.. ive yet to open them on the strip im not sure how much u really gain from them i wanted to do a log with and with out.. but havent beenable to do it yet.. anyone ever done times with and with out the cut outs open?

Cutouts are a waste for power in my opinion without long tube headers. The big restriction is the stock manifolds. By going from an as cast manifold to long tube headers, you will allow the exhaust gasses to be scavenged more effectively out of the combustion chamber. The speed at which the gasses leave is inceased as well. This is what helps top end power. I firmly believe that with proper tuning, and long tube headers, you will reach an 11.9X goal with the cutouts open and some really cool weather like in the mid 40's. I dont think opening cutous will give oyu much power, just a little bit of a headache.

I also see Krambo viewing this thread so he will probably chime in and give insight to what he really needed to do to get 11's. After all, he has been there, I have not, in the SSS anyways. Good luck.

well i was going to see how far i could get with each mod and time slips to prove ever step.. my main hang up is tuning i though i would catch on faster no that i have hp tuners..i just dont have the time to sit and do hours and hours of reading and being a hands on person and not much of a reader is why it hasnt happened .. but all in time i suppost or i find some one to sit down with me and show me things..ive done alot sence the 12.300 was run but sence i cant tune it myself yet...so i guess il just have to get the headers..and really start workin on my tune...

11s in a 5300lbs will impress me alot more then 10s in my camaro thats for sure.. it still blows me away how these trucks run..lol

thanks for the info guys keep it comin...speakin of krambo...i wonder how much it would cost to have some one hack in to his computer and copy a few of his tunes for me?..lmao

I have an extra 2.8" pulley around if you are intrested, but I'm not sure you will get the gain you are looking for. In the cold weather you might pick up a tenth with it, but not much else in my opinion. If we can get back out when it is in the 30's or 40's there is a ton to be gained. Add a touch of 100 octane, headers, and some more tuning.

...speakin of krambo...i wonder how much it would cost to have some one hack in to his computer and copy a few of his tunes for me?..lmao

I will be more than happy to send ya one. PM me your E-mail addy and I will get one out within 2 days. I wouldn't run it, just look at what is different and understand that there are differences between your set-up and my old one. I did some things like scale my MAF table due to maxing it out and also ran the same HI octane table as my LO with minimal KR allowed. A little risky however I was willing to sacrifice a piston for an 11 sec slip.

As for the 2.9 vs. the 2.8...I played around on the dyno with the two. I did an initial cool run with the 2.9 then swapped for the 2.8 and the graphs were just about identical however TQ peaked a tad earlier. Keep in mind that the 2.8" pull was on an already hot motor, I know if it was apples and apples, the 2.8 would have shown some gains. NOTHING was done to the tune for the swap and AFR remained the same as well as boost (I ran an analog Autometer so exact measurements were hard to gauge). Armed with that info, I only changed to the 2.8 as a last resort when I wanted all I could get.

I believe the limit of the 112 is around 18,000RPMs if I remember the figures and map. Do your calculations and be sure to shift just prior to that. If you cam and supporting mods match that power band, then you found the right combo. A cam that peaks at 6500 will not help much here.

I have an extra 2.8" pulley around if you are intrested, but I'm not sure you will get the gain you are looking for. In the cold weather you might pick up a tenth with it, but not much else in my opinion. If we can get back out when it is in the 30's or 40's there is a ton to be gained. Add a touch of 100 octane, headers, and some more tuning.

Zippy will get ya there for sure with the 2.9. Some things I do a little differently is make sure there is no dip of spark advance off the line and try to target 20* the entire run. I even zero'd my knock sensors through 3500RPMs for the strip tune due to pesky false KR. Zippy, I am sure you saw one of the tunes I ran at the strip...scary no? :P

BTW, there is a local guy here that will be in the 11's this fall with a 112 on a 6.0L. After looking at his logs after a 12.4 run, there is no doubt in my mind. I know you are looking at this Eddie Mach, give me a call!

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

I'm running the 2.8 to getaway from the heat I'm running a two gal. water resavouir and a second intercooler I'm also thinkin about alittle spray but with a stock buttom end I don't know . I want to take out my friend with a supercharged 04 gto I think I can do it, if I have to I do a 50 shot or maybe 150 shot jk. once but I don't think the motor will take it I should have went the same route chase did .