Diag Help Transfer Case

well i took the front shaft off and the fun began. burned the tires off and it was a blast. went cruisn around and was gona do a burn out for my buddies and well nothing happend. at first i thought the tranny went again but since i had the front shaft in the truck i went ahead and put it in and luckily the truck moved and babied it home. did i break the chain in the transfer case. if not can someone tell me what happend that let the truck move with the front shaft in. is this an easy fix or did i screw it up badly. thanks for the help you guys are the best.

You screwed it up badly...needs a rebuild. Driving with the front dirveshaft off is a big no no. Either the pinion or planetaries are damaged. It sounds like you have no power to the rear wheels, but once you hooked up the front shaft, it sounds like to me that the front wheels are what was pulling the truck home. If that is the case, the chain cant be broke as the chain drives the front driveshaft.

I half-agree; you did not break any hard parts in the transfer case, you smoked the viscous clutch and it will have to be replaced - bottom line is what Black2003SS said, transfer case rebuild time. Also as a matter of course replace the chain in there too, they stretch over time. Or find a used one in good condition, I've seen 'em trade for about 400-500 bones...

Mr. P.

I half-agree; you did not break any hard parts in the transfer case, you smoked the viscous clutch and it will have to be replaced - bottom line is what Black2003SS said, transfer case rebuild time. Also as a matter of course replace the chain in there too, they stretch over time. Or find a used one in good condition, I've seen 'em trade for about 400-500 bones...

Mr. P.

is the transfer case easy to repair. i wouldnt touch a tranny but transfer case seems like it would be easier to handle.

is the transfer case easy to repair. i wouldnt touch a tranny but transfer case seems like it would be easier to handle.

1248065.gif

here is a breakdown or your NVG149-NP3 transfercase. the viscous coupler you're replacing is #45. its a fairly simple job, no special tools required other than a pair of snap ring plies. there is a snap ring hidden behind a rubber plug in the tailshaft, other than that, she comes right apart. just remember to keep all components clean and dont use to much sealer on the case halves when u reassemble.