Shift Kit Needed W/tune?

Hey guy's,

Just bought an 08 GMC Sierra w/5.3L for work. Do I need to install a shift kit to get the most out of the tune? I know with my Vmax I had to for the T.M. reduction. Just wondering if the transmission needs help in this one also.

Thanks

when i got my new tune for my truck i had it tuned for zero T.M., i was told that i needed a shift kit along with that to get the most out of the tune like you stated. So a shift kit wouldn't hurt, how much T.M. reduction do u have on the vmax

Generally a CAI and cat-back are the usual bolt-ons that complement a custom tune. A shift kit is necessary with 0 TM, some guys run 0 TM without it. I wouldn't remove any more than 65% of the TM without a shift kit.........

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

If u remove any TM I would suggest getting a shift kit to protect it, it probably comes with the 4L60e so u wanna protect your transmission, so u don't have to be worrying about it down the road.

For most 5.3L's I've found that you can change the servo to a Corvette servo and get the shift times within reason to not need a shift kit. I do highly recomend having one though. Every trans should have one. As for torque management, it's not needed at all. :wacko: