Speeding Ticket

ebomberger

I have a radar detector, it never went off. It was an unmarked car, I passed him, he got behind me and clocked me then pulled me over

if it aint a V1 thats why it didnt go off :D . . . . . . . . . .it didnt go off even after he clock'd you?!

there is a new band of radar coming out. I dont know how many officers are using it but most radar detectors right now will not pick it up. I am going to have to send my V1 back in to get it reprogramed to pick up the new band. But if this dude paced you then obviously it would not have gone off anyways.

What I don't get is that Florida can run traffic in unmarked cars, you sure can't do that here in GA. Also him sticking his arm in to turn your ignition off WAS THE DUMBEST THING THAT HE COULD HAVE DONE. We have been taught so many times NOT to stick your arm inside the vehicle, because it is not that hard for the driver to hit the gas and carry the officer along for the ride! But the license thing, in GA you have 30 days to get your license updated before you can get a ticket.

there is a new band of radar coming out. I dont know how many officers are using it but most radar detectors right now will not pick it up. I am going to have to send my V1 back in to get it reprogramed to pick up the new band. But if this dude paced you then obviously it would not have gone off anyways.

What I don't get is that Florida can run traffic in unmarked cars, you sure can't do that here in GA. Also him sticking his arm in to turn your ignition off WAS THE DUMBEST THING THAT HE COULD HAVE DONE. We have been taught so many times NOT to stick your arm inside the vehicle, because it is not that hard for the driver to hit the gas and carry the officer along for the ride! But the license thing, in GA you have 30 days to get your license updated before you can get a ticket.

:pop:

Another thing... if you have tinted windows, I would roll them down immediately, so they can see you clearly.

Yup, that is what I have always done and I have never received a tint ticket. If u have dark tinted windows and u don't lower your windows when a cop pulls u over your asking for a ticket.

I have a radar detector, it never went off. It was an unmarked car, I passed him, he got behind me and clocked me then pulled me over
it didnt go off even after he clock'd you?!

He paced you (Clocked) ... 1/4 mile or greater is all he needs. Does not need radar to verify the speed at that point.

Maybe stitches could correct me, but I was told once, that the radar doesn't work properly while they are following you, so he had to have paced you.

That is old news .... there is new radar out there that can give a reading for objects moving in the same direction, while in Moving Type Radar.

... But Hey ... What would I really know about this ...

In florida you can take a drivers improvement course to get the points taken off of the ticket and just pay the fine. I had to do that when i was stationed down there. You are allowed to that the class one time in a 12 month period. But you might also be able to fight the ticket be cause of the wrong info on the ticket

hey stitches they make you guys pace for a certain distance? There is no defined distance by GA law that we have to pace, I just usually write the distance on the citation

Yup ... 1/4 mile minimum and with a certified, calibrated speedometer (yes guys, unmarked vehicles have them) ... That way, you can prove a constant infraction. Anyone can gun it up to 65mph and say you were doing that speed. But if you pace them for a short distance is when the speeding charge becomes un-disputable. You are showing a continuous infraction, not just a spike in speed. They will argue that it was for a brief period. But being paced for over a 1/4 mile is what will win you your case, on an appeal.

... But don't forget, every state is different ...

Where are you on the job?

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

I was Savannah-Chatham Metro Pd, now I am with Chatham County S.O. as a reserves deputy. I am waiting a couple of years and then going Georgia State Patrol. I only wrote one citation by pacing, my supervisors didn't advise it unless we were a traffic unit. So I gave the lady a warning and sent her on her way. Who are you with in Mass???

Same here in Md we are certified through the acadam to pace..as long as you patrol car has been calibrated and you have the card to prove it. Our in-car cameras also show the speed of the vehicle as well. But if he put the wrong info on the citation you might be able to get off of it...who knows