Check This Out.........

I dont think us AWD boys have the G80 from what I have been told, we are ok. We have to worry about our front diffs more than the rears. I've already had my front diff rebuilt.

Sorry to hear about your luck Dan. I know we were talking the other day about how it was not in the budget, but I think you are making the right choice to do it the right way now rather than putting a bandaid on it and having to face the same issue again not so far down the road.

oh yeah we do have a G80 and we can blow them lol

rear2.jpg

rear1.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice, but I'd have had the dealer fix it first. They should be willing to do it under warrenty. That would have given you something to sell once you get it back and replace it with the Tru-Trac. Not many with the 9.5" rear have a failure with that. I'm impressed to see you've killed it. I replaced my Gov-Lock earlier this year before it started to come apart. They are great for everyday normal use of a truck, just not drag racing or burnouts. One big killer of them is keeping on the throttle when it should be locked in and only one tire is spinning. When that happens it usually is engaged, just being overcome by power and traction. I went to the big dollar Detroit Locker and I'll tell you that it is something you have to get used to driving. They aren't for everyone for sure. The Tru-Trac would have been much cheaper and probably worked just as well for me. I wish I'd have known you were looking as I could have probably gotten everything for you a bit cheaper.

Good choice, but I'd have had the dealer fix it first. They should be willing to do it under warrenty. That would have given you something to sell once you get it back and replace it with the Tru-Trac. Not many with the 9.5" rear have a failure with that. I'm impressed to see you've killed it. I replaced my Gov-Lock earlier this year before it started to come apart. They are great for everyday normal use of a truck, just not drag racing or burnouts. One big killer of them is keeping on the throttle when it should be locked in and only one tire is spinning. When that happens it usually is engaged, just being overcome by power and traction. I went to the big dollar Detroit Locker and I'll tell you that it is something you have to get used to driving. They aren't for everyone for sure. The Tru-Trac would have been much cheaper and probably worked just as well for me. I wish I'd have known you were looking as I could have probably gotten everything for you a bit cheaper.

I appreciate the offer Zippy and i'll keep you in mind if I need anything else(*cough* cam/rods/springs...... when the time comes). This was kind of an emergency situation that I had to make a fast move on, my G80 is getting ready to self destruct.......now its starting to make some noise just going straight. :uhoh: Driving my truck like an old lady really sucks.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

blew up the 9.5" G80 in our TBSS with 1300 miles.... yes you read that right. and the one before that, kept needing to be flushed per GM TSBs to stop the grinding noises it was making in parking lots and U turns. its a grocery getter i might add, stock as stock can be

With all the mods to your trans and drive line you need to add some serious power to that thing(SC or headers/cam) :devil:

:withstupid: i may just have a 18k mile 112 on the market for near nothing in a month or so..... :D

Sorry guys, this beast is gonna keep breathing on her own without any help. Hopefully by spring she will have a nice new bump stick/boob shaft with supporting hardware to make her more evil. :jester: