German Shephard Dogs.

NashSS

I'm looking to get a German Shephard dog. We have a Boston Terrier that is a great dog already but I've always wanted a German Shephard and we found one about an hour from me. She's about 3 months old. I'm wondering if anyone here has or has had a German Shephard and how you liked them. I've read alot of reviews about how they are a great dog and very protective but can also be hyper and aggressive at times. My brother has a 4 month old son that doesn't live with us but he does visit probably every other day and weekends. I'm wanting to hear thoughts from you guys about these dogs. I really really want one and very willing to train and house break and deal with some "accidents" on the carpet. Here is a pic when she was 8 and half weeks old shes about a month older now and he doesn't have any recent pics but he will take some tomorrow.

gsd1.jpg

gsd2.jpg

She's a cutie.

I personally don't have one, but a friend does. The dog is very friendly and playful but is very active. However, I am sure it wasn't properly trained when it was young, so I am sure that is the cause of its rough playfulness. It likes to jump up on people which gets annoying.

Nash, The GSD is the only way to go!!

Growing up I have had a total of 3. all with different personalitys. they are very easy to train! You need to be active. The GSD is a "working dog". You will notice a huge difference in there behavior if you keep them active. If you are not active, Do Not get one. not fair to the dog and they will not behaive properly.

They all have been great with kid's. My bro's GSD, is skitish and protective. he has nipped people. I was kinda scared when my nephew was born, but my nephew is now 3, and he bugs the shit out of that dog, and the dogs has never done anything remotelt aggressive.

Our White GSD. AKC registerd, yes white lol. Is the most hyper one we have had. he is like a black lab. but when givin a task, he is All Buisness and great with kid's. My wife take's him on sanctioned 5k and 10k runs. kids allways come and pet him, climb on him, he is great. his name is thor.

this is Thor

06-19-07_1817.jpg

~Danny

German Sheps are great dogs, very loyal and protective. Couple of my freinds have owned that breed. Make sure training is done as this will be key to keeping her and family safe.

And make sure you dont take her on walks longer than 10 minutes until she is 1 year old, longer walks when they are young= arthritis issues later on in their life. I know that is a big thing for beagles, Ive had 3 but dont know if its just a breed issue...

She is very cute.

The GS breed is a working/hearding breed, which makes them very active. I have a now 5 year old male "German" Shepard (his parents are from Germany). The picture you posted is of an "American" Greman Shepard (low slung backlegs) GS's are great, but will test the boundaries of everything. They are a pack dog and NEED to know their place in the pecking order. They will try to make you (or anyone else that spends time with her) a litter mate and control you/ them. My dog was a handfull for two years (got him at 8 weeks old), played very rough w/ my kids and their friends (treating them as litter mates)

I am not saying all GS'ed are this way but that is their breed. I know this is our 2nd one and they were nothing alike. Otto is very smart but at the same time very sneaky and calculating. I trust him w/ the family but not always w/ everyone that comes over.

P1010035.JPG

P1010055.JPG

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

They're awsome dogs! my first dog was a shepard, like everyone is saying, make sure you can provide them with an outlet for their energy. also this breed is prone to developing hip problems later on in life, to help this condition, keep the pup from vigorous exersize untill shes over 6mths old. hip problems are caused by the hip sockett growing faster than the leg bone, and the leg bone elongates the sockett causing big problems. i learned that from a shepard breeder. good luck with her bro :cheers:

BUY IT

you wont regret it.....i miss my german shepard alot! his name was Hagan. GS are very protective (which i think is a plus) a GS will put its life on the line for his master and wont think twice....their about as loyal as you get. good with kids IMO aslong as there not mean to the dog...example: a toddler yanking on their ears etc. which i think is the same with any dog they'll only tolerate so much before getting pissed.

i say pull the trigger.... i want another GS but im in love with Boxers...i love my boxer she is my best friend.

goodluck either way

I like the breed, you just need to take care of training when young or you will regreat it latter. I had my Shephared for 13yrs before I had to put him to sleep, loved that dog to death just like any other dog I've had. He was so protective over me and my family, especially me. NO one at all was allowed in this house that didn't live here and he would make sure of that. So when someone was to come over, we always had to put him out back till they woudl leave. If I was out in the yard doing something and one of the neighbors were outside, he would sit down in front of me and just watch the other person and show his teeth if he thought they were to close to me. : )

He was also pretty active but he also knew when it was time to be calm. I wasn't able to take him out for a walk cause he would just snap at people and show his teeth. I tried my best to break him of that as a puppy but no dice but he was smart as hell, I had that dog trained to do just about anything and he picked up on things very quickly.

The last months of his life he started turning on me cause he was in so much pain. I would try to help him with steps and he would snap at me and it hurt cause I knew how he use to be with me for years but I undestood the pain he was in and I also understood when he made me aware it was time. :tear::tear:

I still have a Golden Retriver and she's the other way around, loves anyone and everybody, not a good watch dog but oh well, she's my best friend right now.

I also have a white GS dog, a female pure bread. She is VERY smart & loyal. They need to be walked OFTEN, and they LOVE attention & companionship. She is a great guard dog & very strong too. I would hope your other dog is a male, that might help if there is any "power" tensions between the dogs later.

I have no complaints. I would get another GS dog in a heart beat as well. :thumbs:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Thanks for all the words of advise here guys. Our other dog is a female as well but I was thinking if the GS is a female then she might not be as agressive and a little more relaxed compared to a male GS.

Oh also the guys guarantee's the health of his GS pups. We had a talk with him last night over the phone and he's being doing this for over 20 years and he always picks out what he see's is the best pup so if he doesn't sell all his pups he gets the one he wants and in his eyes is gonna be the best dog from the bunch and he said she was it. She is the last one of his litter.

Edited by NashSS (see edit history)

love my German Shephard, had Maggie for 8 years now and the best dog we have had ever..got when she was a pup, daddys girl for sure... want to get another, but already have 2 dogs with a Husky/Rot mix as the other.. do it man, they are great dogs, and can be trained easily. just work with them, they need excersise, walks, go to the dog park, they love to have their brains stimulated.. take a dog training class when the pup is old enough and enjoy and get the most out of your GS..

Nash, The GSD is the only way to go!!

Growing up I have had a total of 3. all with different personalitys. they are very easy to train! You need to be active. The GSD is a "working dog". You will notice a huge difference in there behavior if you keep them active. If you are not active, Do Not get one. not fair to the dog and they will not behaive properly.

They all have been great with kid's. My bro's GSD, is skitish and protective. he has nipped people. I was kinda scared when my nephew was born, but my nephew is now 3, and he bugs the shit out of that dog, and the dogs has never done anything remotelt aggressive.

Our White GSD. AKC registerd, yes white lol. Is the most hyper one we have had. he is like a black lab. but when givin a task, he is All Buisness and great with kid's. My wife take's him on sanctioned 5k and 10k runs. kids allways come and pet him, climb on him, he is great. his name is thor.

this is Thor

06-19-07_1817.jpg

~Danny

great dogs..but smelly

great dogs..but smelly

well our other dog (Boston Terrier) isn't exactly known for smelling good. She can be sitting next to you and then she lets out a silent fart and you can't hear it and she'll jump down and then you just get hit with it. It's a very bad smell so believe me. I'm not used to a dog smelling like fresh linen or something, lol. :ughdance: