Transmission Dead Pool

Drama. Drama. Drama. :banghead:

OK so I have to be moved out of my house by tonight (it's been re-rented already) and I have ONE more truckload of stuff to still move after work today. I was supposed to have been out Saturday, but that's another story... But on my long distance commute into work this morning the transmission began blowing ATF out the bottom of the bellhousing :omg: and the more that you wind up the motor the more 007 oily smokescreen you get, the tailgate of the truck is dripping wet. :( I bought a couple quarts of ATF and topped it off, the tranny does not overheat at all, but does drip ATF at idle and now leaves a 5-inch red wet spot wherever it's been parked. The transmission still operates fine except (1) it flares into 3rd now about 400-RPM, and (2) you can ever so faintly hear a little transmission pump whine.

So. I now have no place to live in Stephenville, my new 'home' is a 2-hr drive north. I still have to haul a truckload of stuff with a bad tranny, do you think it'll make it "LIKE A ROCK" or do you think it'll all of a sudden let go and have an eruption of tranny fluid that will leave me and my stuff stranded somewere on the interstate?

So now getting mentally psyched to pull the tranny for the 5th time. And of course financial timing could not get any worse. What SUCKS is that the entire undercarriage of the truck is completely wet down with Raptor Blood, and that stuff REEKS, the truck wears it like perfume. :sick:

Mr. P.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you will make it, just sounds like the front pump is going out....you know you can call on a few of us in the area and we will help ya out

Oh man don't I know it. I owe a few friends here dearly for all their help. And my gf, she stayed up with me all night last night cleaning my house.

Front pump. Greeeeeeat.

Mr. P.

yeah i scared the front bushing on mine...well tyler did when he put the converter in and after Jerry got it i needed the front pump and bushing replaced, so i had him go through it and fix anything else that might need attention

You should be fine for the trip if you check the fluid constantly. I think you are likely going to have to replace the pump, 3-4 clutches, band, and possibly the TC by the time you are done though. Usually running low on fluid kills that. Man, for your power level you sure shouldn't be having any trans trouble at all let alone a few times a year. :crazy::confused: Your truck just likes to be worked on. lol :(

personally i think youll make it "like a rock". i would IMO turn the shift pressure down a tad, as to aviod any more force/added pressure on the fluid system.

check your PMs btw

EDIT: if you wanna talk about (knock on wood) transmission dead pools, im STILL running that stock 4L70e with an HD-2, sonnax billet servos and NOTHING else on my 550whp setup that tows, quite occasionally. were at 7k miles, still spins thru 2nd sometimes third. always shifts crisp. i think maybe the GM truck and FLT trucks got their orders crossed up :lol::jester:

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

Tranny is chugging right along, it's leaking about 1-qt every 125-miles. :uhoh: Talk about dirty black greased pig, I'm going to be forever getting the truck clean now. :rolleyes: Zippy the high-gear clutch has been crap since day one of our last rebuild, I can't remember what I (we) put in there last time, the clutch pack was recommended by Chris Kokonis and well it slipped from day one. GMPerformanceGuy - yes you name it I've got it in the case, except a billet main drum but by god if anyone ever does go into the market and make a billet or 4340 or titanium drum I am there! John, thanks man will definitely make a point to touch back with you.

The pump was originally built by JAG, and on our last R&R it looked really great :confused: I'm scared that it's broken a tooth or something else, I am pretty sure that I better send the converter back to be inspected & rebuilt. So looks like new frictions, 10-vane pump, converter rebuild, fluids, and expert labor so I better budget about $1800. I checked my bank balance today, I'm down to my last $185; looks like I'm going to have to get a J-O-B. Ah well, it's only money - I can always make more money.

Mr. P.