Transmission Dead Pool

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tranny is chugging right along, it's leaking about 1-qt every 125-miles. :uhoh: Talk about dirty black greased pig, I'm going to be forever getting the truck clean now. :rolleyes: Zippy the high-gear clutch has been crap since day one of our last rebuild, I can't remember what I (we) put in there last time, the clutch pack was recommended by Chris Kokonis and well it slipped from day one. GMPerformanceGuy - yes you name it I've got it in the case, except a billet main drum but by god if anyone ever does go into the market and make a billet or 4340 or titanium drum I am there! John, thanks man will definitely make a point to touch back with you.

The pump was originally built by JAG, and on our last R&R it looked really great :confused: I'm scared that it's broken a tooth or something else, I am pretty sure that I better send the converter back to be inspected & rebuilt. So looks like new frictions, 10-vane pump, converter rebuild, fluids, and expert labor so I better budget about $1800. I checked my bank balance today, I'm down to my last $185; looks like I'm going to have to get a J-O-B. Ah well, it's only money - I can always make more money.

Mr. P.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.ht...ormance%20Parts check em out Steve, 13 vane pump available... :thumbs:

sorry to hear your troubles Steve. I don't know all the details on your prevous builds, but 5 times and i would start looking at replacing the entire case. Something has to be out of spec for you to be having this many problems.

sorry to hear your troubles Steve. I don't know all the details on your prevous builds, but 5 times and i would start looking at replacing the entire case. Something has to be out of spec for you to be having this many problems.

I agree with this :cheers:

eh aggressive driving + the stress of the AWD heavy ass truck is more than enough to kill the small things. and well, what am i saying- there are no "small" things in a tranny theyre all very important. steve, im here for any part or anything... period. id recomend the 70e pump, that things a monster in my truck. im more than certain it has enough pressure to snap an axle shaft at the track on my DRs. cause, well, last time it took out the billet output shaft :lol:

Sorry to hear the news Steve, I guess things got worse since you and I spoke on Sunday. It could be the front pump, could also be a bad TC. I know you have been busy, have you had a chance to pop the inspection covers in the bell housing at all? Instead of bullet proof, make this one bomb proof. :fart:

steve my tranny ran fine without a 2nd gear at all for 4 months 1-3 shift was firm lol its time for a jerry tranny and ill be down in two week i will help you pull it out buddy the wife bought me a cowl hood and i am buying a all black grill

:withstupid: I would venture to look at replacing everything case and all. after 5 failures something has got to be wrong with an important part. A trans should not fail that many times. I beat the crap out of mine and I'm putting alot through it and so far so good(knock on wood) :banghead:

...the wife bought me a cowl hood and i am buying a all black grill

FAWK YEAH!!! :thumbs: I knew I liked your wife for some reason LOL Awesome man, it's gonna look great. :pimp:

You may want to look around for a 70E used for that price or less and just to have a back up. Install that stock with a shift kit and it may just last a couple years.

GREAT idea - I'm so overwhelmed with life crap I did not even think of that. Thanks :cheers: The transmission was FIRST built by JAG and I'm not exactly sure what was or was not done to the case and separator plate but there's *something* not quite right, something minor that is causing major grief. I may get a running 70E core and build that with the hardened parts I already have, just so I know I'm starting from a "known good configuration" as we software guys say...

LOL I meant, "as we unemployed software guys say..." hahaha

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

good luck finding a used 70e... its a great idea tho. just DONT take it apart, anything further than a shift kit. like i told you guys, my 70e has just servos and shift kit and its standing very strong. i just bought it through GM $1300 and it has a 100k mile warranty on it now