The Day Finally Came.

misterp

Man, that sounds so familiar. I worked at the inlaws newspaper in Anadarko, OK for the past 12 years, my wife for the past 32... her only job. January 15th this year we both walked off the job over financial reasons. We'd been living on less than 50K per year combined for the past 12 years. In fact, I only had a dollar per hour raise in 12 years!

I was the head pressman, and the wife was the Production Supervisor over about 6 or 8 employees. Each time someone would quit or get fired, we would have to assume their duties, and work short handed while other departments had people sitting around playing on the computers etc....

To make a long story short, we quit, and I went back to welding in the oilfield in march of this year. Now I'm making more than our old combined income by myself. If the wife was working we'd be doing OK, but really we're just getting by still. I'm working 6 or 7 days a week , 11 hours a day... and it's taking a toll on me physically. I'm 48 and need a little more forgiving job.

The day we left the office, my sister in law and company administrator changed the locks on the office doors, and cancelled our insurance. Our last paychecks were short, and they screwed us out of our remaining vacation time from the last year. And they were family!

So, I'm with you man, I would never do that to my family or friends, and am still in shock that they could do that to us! My wife and I are looking for a small business that we can get into as a team again, but haven't a clue what to do with the economy the way it is now.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Keep your head up, be happy, and make YOUR mark on the work world. And reap the rewards for yourself!

Our family relationship is now dead, and will never be the same... it's sad, but a fact of life now in our home.

Mr P what kind of code do you write specifically? I work in the data/telecom world. Depending on what it is you have experience with I might be able to put the word out and find you an oppurtunity. I cant guarentee anything but any help i can give I would be glad to do so.

We've got plenty of oil field related jobs here in West Texas :jester:

Besides that...I wish you the best of luck, and eventhough I hardly know you, I can tell you'll be ok. Like Brad said, you're a very driven person, and just make sure your priorities are straight....

• 4 weeks later...
Money is a big part of the problem, or maybe said differently a big illustration of the problem. And a large part of my bitterness. You hit the nail on the head saying "they make great money", key word there being "they". I worked an entire career with my father, 20+ years and today I don't have retirement, pension, benefits, *nothing* but bad eyes and tendonitis. We have created a $50M business, and I built all the infrastructure & software, all of it. Trust me my father is doing fine, and I did the heavy lifting. I mis-assumed that my father would treat me equitably, my mistake. I was never treated well by him in childhood, in fact our relationship suddenly materialized when he discovered one day I like to write code; I mistook this business situation as a "relationship" but in fact I've just been used these last 20-years for my talents. So be it, lesson learned; I'm restarting my life. And from what I've heard of others this is like a lot of other father-son businesses, the father does well and the son doesn't get shit. I can tell you this though, it would NEVER enter my mind to treat my own kids like this. But I've realized not to take it all that personally, because my father has done this to every family person in his life, I (nor my sister or mother) are anything special to him in that regard.

I'm ok, I've got far better people in my life now, ones that will work for the win-win relationship.

Mr. P.

Wow I feel like I am reading my life story. My father had a side business that after I finished high school we founded a company in 86. Recently he sold it, he and all the money I will never see again. Like you I think I wanted a relationship so badly, that I overlooked his selfishness. In the back of my mind I guess I am not surprised. I always wanted his time but his work always came 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I was always trying to please him, I think of myself as a indentured servant. I have been taking some time to get my head screwed on straight.

My reason for my post is to help others that end up in a family business or whatever. Get promises in writing. Don't take someones words, especially family!

Here's to moving on :cheers: