Porting The Stock Heads

I would contact WCCH, they can steer you stright.

in my set up Richard told me porting the L92's would be overkill if not hurt the performance.

does the TBSS intake use the truck or car water pump??

I look at the L92 swap as a poor man's LS6 swap...you keep the truck accesories and get some power up top.

You should start putting together a list of the small stuff you will need, new gaskets, new bolts, x-link to run the 90mm, intake gaskets...its the small stuff that will hinder getting it done.

good luck

I ported mine when i did the motor rebuild. i cant say if there was huge gains as i changed alot when i did my build, but i will say in looking at the heads, there is alot that can be done to them in terms of porting and smoothing the flow. heads with new spring will run you bout 800 bucks to be ported and polished and cleaned up. so the choice is yours. i dont think you can go wrong either way.

This truck will be a sometimes hauler (under 4k lbs) sometimes driver but never a daily driver. I'd like to pull consistent mid 13's NA and hit it with a 100 or 150 shot rarely. I want durability much more than performance and of course I'd like to keep the cost down.

Future mods will be Tuning (I already own HP Tuners but haven't tuned yet) heads/cam/intake, headers/xpipe/duals, transmission, N2O. I'm looking at the Torquer v.2 from Texas Speed and I can get the package fairly cheap so I might pull the heads and do a hand port job myself. I've already located a TBSS intake CHEAP that has less than 2k miles on it so I'm probably going to jump on that. I'm also looking into the Pacesetter headers with an x pipe and dual high flow mufflers. As for transmissions I'd love to have the new 6L80 out of the AWD escalade but I'm not sure what they run price wise. The N2O kit will be the last mod and unless I come into some money that will be at least a year away.

look at my mods..i had a decent cam...you could easily go smaller...ported and polished 317's with the TBSS intake...ran 13.8 on a 100° and on a 125 shot went 12.3...these motors love nitrous

Sounds like exactly what I'm after! The Pacesetter headers are on sale at Texas Speed right now for $269...might have an intake and headers before the week is out!

I have emailed 3 places that do this kind of thing for a living and have yet to hear ANYTHING back...

From what I've read the stock LQ9 heads are a great platform and are pretty much on par with the LS6 heads in stock/stock and ported/ported. I wish someone would get back to me about porting mine...this is pathetic...

I have emailed 3 places that do this kind of thing for a living and have yet to hear ANYTHING back...

From what I've read the stock LQ9 heads are a great platform and are pretty much on par with the LS6 heads in stock/stock and ported/ported. I wish someone would get back to me about porting mine...this is pathetic...

Time to pick up the phone and get serious! E-Mails are impersonal and can be easily lost or sidetracked during day-to-day shuffle. Be aware of the fact that most of these shops are very well renowned, see a huge amount of business daily, and very very busy.

Get on that phone and start calling, you will find some very knowledgeable people willing to spend a couple minutes on the phone with you. Guaranteed.

I love the gains I got with my heads and cam setup. I took my stck heads and ported and polished them but went a bit further and milled(shaved) the head surface 10 thousandths. The only problem I have in milling it down and a bigger cam is that the compression is high and my truck's idle is jumpy fluctuating as much as 200-300 rpms on 91 oct fuel, I mix av fuel and 91 oct premium and it smooths right out with a hyper racey idle at about 850 rpms.

get some trick flow or patriot heads

TF is out of my range but Patriot is on my short list to either buy heads or have CNC my heads. I haven't decided if I want to go with the LQ9 head or LS6 head...chamber size is really the only difference as they both flow equally as well.

Edited by ss454327 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...