Ticking sound

Yesterday driving around I noticed a very light ticking sound comming from my engine. I cant tell where it is comming from, but it is worrying me. It is most noticeable around 1500-2000RPM. I noticed this when I first got the truck but didnt think anything of it. My Z71 did it for a little while when it was new then it went away. It seems to only do it when the engine is hot, on cold startup and driving it doesnt make it at all. It seems to change with engine speed, I had a belt on a Honda before that made the same sound, turned out the label on the belt would rub something everytime it went around and made the same noise.

I took it to the dealer and they couldnt hear it. So maybe I am just worrying too much about nothing. I am using Mobil One oil and only got about 1400 miles on the truck. I have only floored it 2 times so far. So its not like I have been beating on it. Using 93 octane fuel. Anyone else notice anything similar? Its not loud, just a very very light tick around those RPMs sometimes. Doesnt do it all the time.

JROCK you are probably over compensating from the installation of the drop kit I know its sounds funny but you are listening for any noise creak snap crackle and pop that your vehicle makes. Just drive it and revel in the remarks and looks that you are getting from it.

:cheers:

Jonathan ssblackss

I have a ticking sound also that started after I installed my headers. Long tubes add a tick sound anyway, but this is different. Will it start if you run it hard? That's when mine does it, after a hard launch with a long period of heavy accel. Do a couple of those and it stays for a while. I would try to make it come back and take it to the dealer again. Piston slap is common in these engines, but I couldn't tell you if that is what is going on or not.

There has been no performance loss at all, it runs like a raped ape with the new intake and westers tuning. At high RPMs it sounds really good with no ticking or noise at all. Maybe since I always drive so slow it is just some carbon build up in the engine. The truck sat for about 1 year before I bought it, when I bought it I immediately changed the oil and switched to synthetic. Maybe a little fuel addiditive will help clean it out?

I checked my oil level it was right at the top bubble hole thing in the dipstick. I put an extra half quart in just to top it off and the sound went away. I guess it is just really sensitive to the level of oil in the engine. Haha Nothing to worry about I guess, sorry guys.

...  I have only floored it 2 times so far.  So its not like I have been beating on it.  ...

There has been no performance loss at all, it runs like a raped ape with the new intake and westers tuning.  At high RPMs it sounds really good with no ticking or noise at all. 

Sounds like a little conflicting info. I would think that with intake and tuning that you would have floored it more than twice, especially if it runs like a raped ape. :P

Archived