Another Trans Bites The Dust

After making several phone calls over the last 24 hours and picking several knowledgable brains, I have pretty much made up my mind. Because the truck is my DD and only means of transportation, time is of the essence......I will be going with a Performabuilt Level 3 4L65E. I had a conversation with Frank there today, and it looks like he can get me this trans within the next week. I also will be getting a new PI Vigilante TC to replace my current one. I will be sending the old one back to PI to be spruced up and then plan on putting it up for sale here on the forum.

:chevy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the best combo for our trucks these days is a TBTC & zippy shift kit/servo setup. That's what I'm running and so far so good(knock on wood). I've got at least 25K miles on this setup with the blower and plenty of track runs and hard city driving. I'm sticking with this till she blows

After making several phone calls over the last 24 hours and picking several knowledgable brains, I have pretty much made up my mind. Because the truck is my DD and only means of transportation, time is of the essence......I will be going with a Performabuilt Level 3 4L65E. I had a conversation with Frank there today, and it looks like he can get me this trans within the next week. I also will be getting a new PI Vigilante TC to replace my current one. I will be sending the old one back to PI to be spruced up and then plan on putting it up for sale here on the forum.

:idiot: do some research on performabuilt and i wish you could drive my truck. dont go cheap or we will see a simular post in the near future with alot of "i told you so"

Wow Dan you seem to have bad luck with your truck. You can look at it this way, you'll get every thing built up. Knock on wood so far, I seem to be one of the lucky few. 15,000 miles, 10,000 of them hard miles on a 150 shot and nothing broke yet.

While out and about this evening, my transmission decided to self destruct. I was about to merge into traffic on a major highway from a dead stop, so I jumped on it. The truck went to shift into 2nd at WOT and went BANG! I limped it back home with only 3rd and 4th gears......by the time I got home it was bucking in 3rd. It barely has reverse, it will start to move then abruptly stop. I broke something substantial, don't know exactly what. It sucks, I just sank over $1400 into the rear end to upgrade the ailing G80, where the hell am I gonna get the money to fix this? At this point, it would probably be in my best interest to go with a built unit instead of fixing this one.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I had the EXACT same situation happen to me. Identical. That was about a year and a half ago. I believe it was the sprag, and a band. I had the stocker built up and all is good. The core should still be good.

What stall are you running???

Dan just look around the rest of the sites and look at their rep I dont want to to be in the same boat again in the near future.

I did some research, and their reputation is great overall, especially on PT.net.......care to elaborate more on this?

:idiot: do some research on performabuilt and i wish you could drive my truck. dont go cheap or we will see a simular post in the near future with alot of "i told you so"

I have done some research on PerformaBuilt, I have to say their reputation is great. I don't consider their top of the line Level 3 built 4L65E that costs around $2300 to be cheap........especially when it comes with a decent warranty.........

If I was cheaping out on this(WHICH I AM NOT) I would be putting a junkyard 4L65E in my truck, not

a built trans.......

I had the EXACT same situation happen to me. Identical. That was about a year and a half ago. I believe it was the sprag, and a band. I had the stocker built up and all is good. The core should still be good.

After speaking with Zippy, he thinks I broke a reaction carrier. In other words I broke a lower planetary......

What stall are you running???

2800 stall 10.5" PI Vigilante

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

um just the fact that they make you pay 2300 for a transmission has 200 in parts in it. Thats enough to make me wonder why in the world they charge that much. But, Dan I just want you to get a unit that is not gonna give you problems for a good price. The unit I talked to you about is set up exactly like the FLT Lvl 5 for over 2K you should at least get that in parts IMO. also a warranty???? are you kidding its gonna cost you a arm and a leg to have it pulled and shipped all the way across the country for that warranty work. Again im not knocking performabuilt I just know that some of those units have not lasted under abuse..

screw the name look at the parts list and talk to people who are runnning that trans...$200 parts + $Labor= $2300 thats alot of work.

IMO a warranty on a trans is useless unless it covers dropping that thing...even on a 2WD its not fun to drop.

What are you guys trying to tell me here, am I wasting my money? Am I getting ripped off? Please tell me so I can make a decision!.......

Dan I'm saying that it is a lot of money for not a lot of transmission. I also know that dave went through a few of their transmissions in a matter of a few months. This is also not about choosing our transmission over someone else I dont care about that. I just want you to get get the best deal that you can and also have a damn good transmission.