How Many Guys Drive Their Sss Im The Snowy Months?

mike1booth

whats it cost? maby we could even get some more guys

sounds good. will check it out. I know jesse knows about them, heard their costly but will check into it soon...

last year was my last year of driving in snow. it was a daily driver till recently. some may think i dont drive my SS but with over 98,000 miles on the clock i can prove them wrong. here are some pics of my SS last year... enjoy

nice pics, looks like some fun was had there. :cheers:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey ray how much does it snow up here. this will be my first winter here. i doesnt snow much in tennessee. my truck is 2wd and it allready sux in the rain

Justin on your side of the Mtns you don't get a lot of snow, but at times it can get slick for you. The biggest problems you have over there is the cities/counties/state don't have a lot of snow removal equipment and most of the drivers over there don't know how to drive on snow.

Justin on your side of the Mtns you don't get a lot of snow, but at times it can get slick for you. The biggest problems you have over there is the cities/counties/state don't have a lot of snow removal equipment and most of the drivers over there don't know how to drive on snow.

yea i was kinda worried about it. i hope its a mild winter. i think im just gonna buy a beater for the winter here. i found a k-5 blazer cheap so well see. thanks for replying Ray.

No matter how much it snows 2wd sucks in the snow. as you put it, it's already sucking in the rain.. You best bet is to follow what Fireman31 is doing. Ray is in a different league beings he's AWD.

When I was shopping for a new truck I was looking for a 4x4 to replace my 95 4x4 then I came across the SS and noticed the AWD and I was sold. I always liked the lowered trucks and figured I could have a lowerd AWD now. I didn't want to deal with a 2WD in the winters here in MO. Which isn't to bad for snow but we have our moments. A couple years ago we had 16" overnight (The most since I've lived here) and the previous owner told me he drove the SS to his tractor so he could blade his road. After I purchased the SS in Feb. One morning on the way to work I didn't realize the road was iced up until I got to a stoplight and seen cars/trucks fish tailing.

Just know that no matter what your driving. Snow and Ice can damage any car/truck. If not from an error you've done or what you've drove on (Black Ice). But error's on other peoples parts as well.

I once or more then once came up to a 4 way stop and yes I was in 4x4 and just slid right through it for about 20 feet. I just let off the brake, and tapped them as I laughed. Good thing it was 5:30 am and no other cars where around. But that curb was getting closer and closer before I finally came to a stop.

Just be careful, don't drive like it's dry pavement and pay attention to others around you.

Any yes.. Pray for a mild winter and an early spring ;)

i wish i had awd. i really didnt know much about the sss when i bought mine. i had to buy a truck for our move from tennessee. im use to haveing ss camaros and i had to trade my 04 z06 in for my truck. but i wasnt figuring on coming to washington state. i was suppost to go to ft. rucker alabama. wich in near dothan ala. close to the florida panhandle so i was pissed say the less.

ive driven in the snow/ice before we get ice in tn every year and ive driven my camaros in it but the sss seems harder to controle than my f-body and z06. so i guess ill buy a 4x4 or hitch a ride with my boss we live in the same neighborhood. thanks for the reply and advice. Justin

If you need an indoor car wash just swing by clowntown. Just need to back into my garage and your set. I am looking into some space heaters to surround the truck for days when I wash it so I dont have to worry about the water freezing on body panels. I like the undercarriage washes around but I dont think they get all the grime and salt/sand off. Might have to kick my moms bmw outside...its mass produced anyway.

i don't have a lot of experience driving my truck in the winter, I have owned the truck for only a year without any major snow unlike the years before. here in NM or at least Albuquerque/Rio Rancho they use sand rather that salt so that helps. I just keep it clean wash it when i can and avoid those who can't drive in that kind of weather. :chevy:

Edited by BG06SILVERADO (see edit history)

Mine is a daily driver year round....... :( .........Just polished the paint a while back, with multiple coats of Zaino. Might try to get another couple of coats of something on 'er before winter actually hits. I have a feeling we are gonna get some serious winter weather this year in the "Heartland"...... :rolleyes: ......I will say, the SS is fun to drive in the snow..... :cheers:

:uhoh: where can i get zaino?? and what is it?? :confused:

My SS has seen every winter day since April '04 (which is Oct - May). It is my daily driver and is an absolute blast in the snow.

In Alaska, they use dirt/gravel on a layer of snow pack for traction. It is bloody hell on the front end and windshield. I have gone through 2 already and my hood is dented, pitted, and paint chipped from all the rocks I have taken...goes with the territory I guess. :dry:

you guys are great for answering anything i have to ask, thanks for the feedback, but i kept the winter beater and wont be driving the sss this winter (to me it makes more sense beefing up an already nice truck than dumping a bunch of cash into a shitbox)

I drive mine year round. Like it's been said before, I take off my rims/tires and go with a painted rim/winter tire combo. when we have some weather, the truck gets at least one wash a week including the undercarriage.

Someday I will have the cash for a second ride, but until then, this is what I have to go with.

As for the Monte, I had an '82 and yes, your truck will be your bad weather driver. Those Montes can power up a hill sideways in a few inches of snow though... :uhoh:

Mine gets a different set of wheels and tires for the winter....

Lansing%2011-07.JPG

I agree, just get some wheels equipped with some good winter tires. The factory Goodyears are espeacially not good in the winter, at least not for a Nebraska winter.

I pass Z71s all day long with these ugly, nobby-a$$ things on! Of course, you will need a AWD SS for this to happen. :D

100_0343.jpg

100_0342.jpg