C5 Z06 Corvette

superredss

I was looking around at the C5 vettes on ebay last night and I noticed that I only saw the Z06's with a trunk and the regular C5 with a hatch? Is this true for all C5's? I mean does the Z06 come in a hatchback, or does it only come with a trunk? I love the look of the hatchback and was kinda suprised at not seeing any Z06's with a hatch. If this is true can someone tell me why GM designed the C5 Z06 as such? Thanks

Edited by superredss (see edit history)

Yes the ZO6 only came with the FRC (fixed roof coupe.) GM says the power output of the LS6 was too much for a removable roof, too much body flex. It would cause the frame to warp. The ZO6 was modeled after the '98 - '99 models with the FRC. There was no ZO6 for '98 - '99 but you could get the FRC, which was a 6 speed and had the Z51 suspension, basically a baby ZO6.

:flag:

thanks guys, i was kinda suprised at not seeing a removeable top at first, but i guess the body flex would make GM only make them like they did. I am thinking about giving up the truck once the lease is up (still a long time off) and getting a C5. I figure that if I can pick one up for around 15k I should be pretty good, and the 6 speed gets close to 30mpg. I was just thinking on it, so if you guys have any good pointers on how to pick up a good used vette I would appreciate it!

Yes the ZO6 only came with the FRC (fixed roof coupe.) GM says the power output of the LS6 was too much for a removable roof, too much body flex. It would cause the frame to warp. The ZO6 was modeled after the '98 - '99 models with the FRC. There was no ZO6 for '98 - '99 but you could get the FRC, which was a 6 speed and had the Z51 suspension, basically a baby ZO6.

The FRC is 99-00 only, and HUD (Heads up Display) didn't come out until 00, 01 Z06 FRC 385hp, 02-04 FRC Z06 405HP :thumbsup:

Yes 30mpg is pretty easy with the 6 speed. A buddy of mine recently took a trip from NC to MO running about 85 or so (some of it in the triple digits) in a 01 ZO6 and got right at 29mpg for the whole trip. BTW that car is for sale $22,5 I think. Very clean and its only got about 36K on the odometer.

The FRC is 99-00 only, and HUD (Heads up Display) didn't come out until 00, 01 Z06 FRC 385hp, 02-04 FRC Z06 405HP :thumbsup:

My bad ... I knew it was only two years just missed by one :D The HUD actually came out in '99 but wasn't available on the FRC (hardtop), it became available on the FRC in 2000.

Yes 30mpg is pretty easy with the 6 speed. A buddy of mine recently took a trip from NC to MO running about 85 or so (some of it in the triple digits) in a 01 ZO6 and got right at 29mpg for the whole trip. BTW that car is for sale $22,5 I think. Very clean and its only got about 36K on the odometer.

normally I would take you up on that offer...but I have to wait for the lease to expire on the SS, I still got 2 years on it, and then I am probably giving it up, then I will be serious about a vette or Z06 vette, right now I am just trying to learn more about them, but thanks though and good luck on the sale!