Porter Cable Power Tools

smoke03

So Im pretty partial to the dewalt 18V power tools but Ive found a porter cable combo kit at lowes with an 18v drill, Skill saw, Recipricating saw, and work light. Comes with carrying bag, 2 batterys and a charger all for 160 bucks. Just wondering if you guys knew anything about them or could tell me how well they hold up to household use. I know porter cable has been around for awhile but Ive never used any of there stuff EXCEPT a small air compressor.

TIA

I know our maintence man at work and many others that need to use have been using the drill and light for several years. The light is like a spotlight right? (Bright SOB). In fact them tools I mentioned have outlasted a battery.

I've never used any of the saws so I can't help you on them but if they are like the drill and light. I think you'd be happy with them.

IMO, Dewalt is top notch. At my dad's HVAC/Mechanical shop thats all we use. We probably have over $10,000 invested in dewalt tools and they haven't failed us yet. They last a good while concidering our guys abuse the hell out of them. I guess you get what you pay for.

This is just my experience, I can't speak for Porter Cable as I haven't used them.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

We had Porter Cable MagnaQuench drills when they came out near 20 years ago. They weren't "BAD" but they didn't have tremendous longevity either.

I have no idea about their new stuff.

Sadly it seems the more you pay, the better the cordless drill.

Edited by CrAzYMoPaRGuY (see edit history)

well I know that porter cable has been around for a long time and everything Ive ever used by them has been top notch. I work maintenance in a factory and dewalt is what we use as well. But this is just a really good price if these tools are worth anything so I thought Id ask you guys and see what you thought.

My brother owns a cabinet shop and uses lots of cordless stuff, especially on installs. He says that the Porter Cable brand is not what it used to be. He said, he believes that they were bought by Craftsman and the quality is not what it once was. But, also, if you not going to be using it on an industrial level everyday, it will probably do the job quite nicely for you.

Hope that helped.

i have a roofing nailer of theres at it is good compared to others i have used. my cordless items are all milwakee so i cann't help you with drill advice

:withstupid:

I have the corded stuff, router, belt sander, table saw, dust collection...they are all nice tools.

for cordless I would really research the battery tech before I bought if I needed them all the time. Milwakee has some new batteries out, but IMO you are probably getting the old stuff so they can get the new models for xmas. You get it cheap, take care of them and work them till they break.

Pluses of other brands are the radio? charging radio? craftsman has a remotr control car that uses the drill battery :troll: for down time:)

IMO, Dewalt is top notch. At my dad's HVAC/Mechanical shop thats all we use. We probably have over $10,000 invested in dewalt tools and they haven't failed us yet. They last a good while concidering our guys abuse the hell out of them. I guess you get what you pay for.

This is just my experience, I can't speak for Porter Cable as I haven't used them.

we use dewalt tools and i absolutely hate them. They just cant stand the abuse we give them. We are pretty hard on tools tho.