Baers Cracking

well, both my rear alumisport rotors are cracking around the drilled holes.... i was wondering how many of you have had this issue. the rotors have 24k miles on them, on their second set of pads. hawk HPS pads are on it now. the rotors have been cut once, .004 of an inch. IMO and from my experience, they never should have needed to be cut and espeically shouldve never needed pads for another few thousand. also, when i cut them (at 16k mi) they were very very out of round.

anyone and everyone please chime in! thanks :D

common all pairs i know have them . i had some of the older casting on my rears when i got them back in early 05 that cracked badly, like 1/16 of an inch crack from the bottom hole( closest to hub) to the outer edge , it was like a dam fault line, both rears did it and i got new ones from baer. yes i broke them in properly too. the new ones have about 15k on them and only very minor cracks have showed. not bad but they are there. the big dogs ) 6 pistons dont have them and neither do the 2 piece alumasport fronts i have which have about 25k on them and been cut once.

yea my fronts had to be cut twice, i ended up replacing the rotors and selling them as some may recall. i replaced them with the 6S and have had no issues at all, but with the fixed caliper mount i dont expect them to go out of round anyways... and i didnt have an issue with the 2 piece alumisports i had either, it was just the back thats cracking. im in the same boat you are chase, same conditions and what not... except baer wont replace them. but on mine every hole has at least two fault-looking cracks, they are getting worse. last weekend i took the truck to the mountains in NC and SC and put 2k miles on the truck. the rotors seemed to be ok, didnt get much worse and were under alot of stress. i guess ill wait till they get bad :sigh:

i dont think it was because they were cut... especially if that lifetime warranty is true. cause cutting a rotor is just standard upkeep. my guess is they are just assuming that abuse is all that could cause the cracks with only one cut.

at a shop nearby us, they install alot of baer stuff... they had one guy get alumisports installed on a stock tahoe on 22s, and 3 of the rotors completely disinegrated before the guy got home from the shop. they werent even round when i saw them... i remember when i had just got mine they told me that if i used the truck with moderate/severe duty to expect cracks/issues.

A long time ago I was told that drilled & vented rotors crack because the holes cannot be stress relieved in the vented area.

Not just on Baer rotors but on ALL drilled rotors. It's not a problem on race cars because those rotors are replaced frequently.

Porsche rotors (and probably other exotics) are an exception because the holes are cast and not drilled.