Truck Tossed Some Codes At Me Tonight

Badkarma

weird night! This just topped off an already cruddy night. So i just start to drive down the alley way after picking up my sister, did a couple quick swervs to avoid speed bumps and bam! SES comes on, and it goes into limp mode. All I could do at the time was pull over and shut it down. I waited a few minuts, and after restarting the truck ran fine, but the engine light was still on. I checked the codes, and they were P1516, 2108 and U0107. Any idea why it would throw these? Only issue I have been having with my truck is my HID's acting up. they were flickering pretty good at the time when it happened. Think it could be tied in?

According to Alldata........

DTC P1516

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The predicted throttle position (TP) is compared to the actual throttle position. The two values should be within a calibrated range of each other. Both the powertrain control module (PCM) and the throttle actuator control (TAC) module redundantly monitor the predicted and actual throttle position. DTC P1516 sets if the PCM detects an out of range condition between the predicted and the actual throttle position.

DTC DESCRIPTOR

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P1516 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

DTC P2108 or U0107 is not set.

The ignition switch is in the Crank or Run position.

The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts .

The TAC system is not in the battery saver mode.

DTC P1516 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

The TAC module detects that the predicted and the actual throttle positions are not within a calibrated range of each other.OR

The PCM or the TAC module cannot determine the throttle position.OR

Both of the TP sensors are out of range.

The PCM detects one of the above conditions are present for more than 0.003 second .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.

The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.

The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.

A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.

Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.

Verify that the starting and charging systems are operating properly. Low system voltage can cause this DTC to set.

When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than one TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than one DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.

For an intermittent, refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections. See: Diagrams\Diagnostic Aids

DTC P2108

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The throttle actuator control (TAC) module contains data which is essential for proper TAC system operation. The TAC module continuously tests the integrity of this data. When the TAC module is unable to write or read data to and from random access memory (RAM), or the TAC module is unable to correctly read data from the flash memory or an internal TAC module processor fault is detected, this DTC sets.

DTC DESCRIPTOR

DTC P2108 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Performance

DTC U0107 is not set.

The ignition switch is in the Crank or Run position.

The ignition voltage is greater than 5.23 volts .

The communication between the TAC module and the powertrain control module (PCM) must be valid.

DTC P2108 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.

The TAC module determines that an internal data test did not pass for between 0.8-60 seconds .

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.

The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.

The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

Verify that the starting and charging systems are operating properly. Low system voltage can cause this DTC to set.

Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.

When the TAC module detects a condition within the TAC system, more than one TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than one DTC. Disconnecting components during testing may set additional DTCs. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.

DTC U0107

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The throttle actuator control (TAC) module and the powertrain control module (PCM) communicate via a dedicated serial data circuit. This serial data circuit is separate from any other serial data circuit on the vehicle. Accurate transmitting and receiving of serial data requires not only good circuit integrity, but also adequate system voltage. This diagnostic test monitors the accuracy of the serial data transmitted between the TAC module and the PCM. If the PCM detects a loss of data or invalid data, DTC U0107 sets.

DTC DESCRIPTOR

DTC U0107 Lost communication with Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module

The ignition switch is in the Run position.

The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts .

DTC U0107 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.

The PCM detects invalid or missing serial data messages for more than 0.83 second .

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

IMPORTANT: Reprogramming the PCM may cause a communication error between the PCM and the TAC. If the PCM detects a communication error, DTC U0107 sets. Clear any DTCs from the memory that may have been set by Reprogramming.

DTC U0107 sets if the battery voltage is low. If the customer concern is slow cranking or no crank because battery voltage is low, ignore DTC U0107. Clear any DTCs from memory that may have set from the low battery voltage condition.

DTC U0107 sets when there is a short to B+ on the TAC module ground circuit. Inspect the fuses for the circuits that are in the TAC module harness, i.e. cruise, brake. An inspection of the fuses may lead you to the circuit that is shorted to the TAC module ground circuit.

DTC U0107 sets if the TAC module ignition feed circuit is shorted to a B+ supply circuit. The TAC module stays powered-up when the ignition switch is turned OFF. When the ignition switch is turned ON, the TAC module is powered-up before the PCM. DTC U0107 sets because no communication is detected by the TAC module from the PCM. Inspect related circuits for being shorted to a B+ supply circuit.

Inspect the TAC module power and ground circuits and the TAC module/PCM serial data circuits for intermittent connections.

When the TAC module detects a problem within the TAC system, more than one TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than one DTC. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.

For an intermittent condition, refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections. See: Diagrams\Diagnostic Aids

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Taking all three of these codes into consideration, it seems as though you may have a lose/bad connection at the TAC module, or you have a battery/alternator issue that is starting to pop up seeing how low system voltage can cause all three of these codes to pop up........or like you said, your HID balasts freaked out and pulled the charging system voltage down.......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Thanks for all the info :) Im starting to wonder if it was my HID's i know for a split second at start up, the pull alot of current, and then calm down. Well they were practically acting like strobe lights. Maybe that messed with the overall power distribution.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just wanted to bring ya up to date on the post. I pulled my Hids and have been running my old silverstars (yuck) since this happend and everthing has been fine. No issues at all. Guess the ballast goin spaz on me was the prob.