Torque Converter Rec.

So I did search this out but really didn't come up with much. I also posted a while ago about a TBTC, but I am still uncertain. The SSS is my DD I am going to be doing an upgrade on the trans for the SSS due to the fact that I am going to be putting on a Pro Charger. I am looking for a good street mannered Tc.. So let me know brands type stall anything. Their is someone on here selling a TBTC for a good price. It won't last, and their is someone on PT.net selling a 2600 tt yank..

I want to do this right the first time.. Also to answer questions YES I will race once in while on an off the track.. So like I said chime in with some info thanks guys :cheers:

You want a good street mannered TC? My old 2800 stall PI 10.5" Single Disc drives like stock until your foot is in it, perfect for a DD.....it will probably be going back for a freshen up next week if you are still interested Jesse. :cheers:

Thanks DanI am pm me a price and we will go from there money is tight Christmas is around the corner.. I just wanted to post this to get ideas and also for Newbies that might want/need more info..Thanks Da nI am pm me a price and we will go from there money is tight Christmas is around the corner.. I just wanted to post this to get ideas and also for Newbies that might want/need more info.. :cheers:

Edited by sick03ssbad70velle (see edit history)

I feel from personal experience that if your FI you need a billet stall whether it be PI,Yank or my fav TCS...It is very well mannered on the street but hang on when it flashes.

:withstupid::withstupid: +1 to brad im currently running a yank SC3000 and its a great stall but after seeing brobrad truck run ill be upgrading to a tcs 2600. BTW the TT is not strong enough for a fi truck. Please head this advice for my first stall was a TT3000 and it was junk in 4 days also crapping my brand new built tranny

Edited by MIDNIGHTRIDR (see edit history)

Whats everyones thoughts on a TBTC???? i have got mixed reviews. Should I just spend the money and get a built TC from TCS PI Yank , etc

Asking this for Booth...

me personally i would go new, this way you know what ya get, not saying anything is wrong with the converters being sold on the net, as long as you know the history of the stall, its just critical to put something used like a stall in..

So far Ive been pleased with my TBTC, and paid $150 for it (refurbished). Im NA and if I did it over I personally would have went with a 3000k stall. My 60' went from 2.10 (stock) to 2.01 (TBTC). If you havent already Id recommend adding a shift kit and transcooler with any stall. Hope that helps :cheers:

hey jess, i was thinking of going with the tbtc originally, but now i think i'm going to go with the yank 3000tt. i read about it and sounds like it would be sweet. although your going to be FI, maybe a yank SC3000 for you? anyways can you get me that phone number? thanks man :cheers:

As you are asking for recommendations:

We're having very good success selling TCS; for 3+ years I've run a TCS 2800 in my own truck and *loved it*, it's a little loose a great street/strip NA converter. I'm now running the TCS 2600 and it's a lot more domesticated, I would even say that it would pass the spouse test but when you dump a lotta torque on it, look out. In fairness, there is one gent on the forum here that has tried a TCS converter in a max-effort centrifically supercharged truck, and was not pleased with the result reporting that his motor pulled through the converter; this is the only negative instance with the TCS product I have heard. But I am very happy with mine. Also, the customer service with TCS has been fantastic IMO, every converter stalls exactly where specified so far; and they restall for free but we've never needed to ask them to do this, and they will remanufacture their converters for $200 and turnaround time is 2-days.

Experience with Yank TT product - it's not going to work well in FI applications; several have failed outright and we have another person who swapped his "perfectly fine" Yank TT for a TCS 2600 and dropped several tenths, the Yank TT was obviously not transferring all the power from the engine to the transmission.

TBTC - ok converter in stock and light NA applications, IMO it's how the truck should have come from the factory (about 2400-2500 stall). Problem with the TBTC converter is that it has a very light-duty overdrive clutch and if you try to tow in 4th+overdrive you'll smoke the lockup clutch in short order, this converter was meant for a vehicle 1000-lbs less and no towing load. One member here ran a TBTC in his 2WD SS and regularly used a 125-shot at the track, truck was his daily transportation too and it began making 'squeal of death' noises after about 2-years; replaced it with a TCS 2600 and the 60-ft dropped 2-tenths on nitrous. OH and your ATF temp will rise 20-degrees using a TBTC and the stock ATF cooler (not an issue). My recommendation, I would never use a TBTC on a FI application, it's not the best performer and you WILL eventually kill it. But you can't beat cheap and if you are on a budget this is a good way to do it.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

wow thanks steve. great info. what is your take on PI. any pros cons. Like I said before this is all new to me and I am sure with others. Thanks again for the info

Precision - I have not had hands-on experience myself; however a couple folks here run those units and have success with them. The reason that Dan and I chose not to sell them is because Dan's family and extended family has 3 generations experience building and developing automatic transmissions over the last 50+ years and their combined experience with Precision has not been good but that has been in many applications across many makes (Ford C4/C6 apps, GM TH apps, full track cars, etc). But again in fairness, more than a few guys here are using the PI converters and doing well with them so YMMV. Fireman31 took me for a quick joyride in his truck and he has a PI 2800, and it's very nice, it's a little tighter on the bottom-end than my TCS 2800 so that makes it a touch more docile to the regular driver, it would probably pass the spouse test; I think my TCS 2800 converter launches just a touch harder but not by much, best 60-ft I've had on my stock truck with just a CAI/Corsa was 1.95, I think Fireman31's 60-ft is 2.0.

Another big factor on reselling the TCS versus Precision decision for us - better product for the money; we retail the TCS for $825, and it is a FULL BILLET front-half, full race duty unit with extreme duty lockup clutch (you are welcome to spray nitrous through the shifts while locked-up) - it's f'n stout. The PI unit retails for quite a bit more and it is our opinion that the PI product is not any better, in fact "the family" won't even deal with customers that request one because when a converter fails it takes either the trans or engine thrust bearing (or both) with it. Transmission politics :lol:

Pics of the TCS 2800 -

TCS1.jpg

TCS2.jpg

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
You want a good street mannered TC? My old 2800 stall PI 10.5" Single Disc drives like stock until your foot is in it, perfect for a DD.....it will probably be going back for a freshen up next week if you are still interested Jesse. :cheers:

What would be the requirements for me to get a single disc or triple disc?