Black2003SS

Career Path  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which route should I go?

• Navy - Officer Candidate School
    • Border Patrol with Department of Homeland Security
    • Army - Officer Candidate School
    • Stay put with Xerox and sales

I'm making some serious decisions in the next two months. It looks like the Navy, Army, and the Border Patrol will all be a viable option as the application process with all of them has moved to the next level. I have submitted paper work with the Navy, BP DHS, and have the paper work to fill out for the Army. I would appreciate any feedback on any of the paths I have before me. Tell me everything you know good and bad about all of them.

I'll post more details about each career that I have learned later tonight.

Thank You

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

looked into border patroal... went to a seminar... they only pay $20sumthin k for the academy and to start which is alot less than i make now (and what i make now isnt enough as it is) so i choose other! take a week off and talk to people who do different things (NO RECRUITERS) maby youll find a nitch, or sign a contract to do a job that you could hate :D

Its not that I am unhappy with Xerox per se. Xerox has been good to me. I make good money...when sales are up...and the economy is down right now, so sales are down accross the board. My team had 12 sales people when I started and is now down to 6. They cut back 50%. I already went through layoffs with TRW in engineering about 6yrs ago. I went through downsizing in the mortgage industry this past summer after surviving the first few rounds of layoffs. I have saved money for rough times and spent wisely. I only managed the last job loss because I had a huge savings and had sold my house before the bubble busted. However, if I get laid off or let go from Xerox in the next few months, I will be in a world of financial hurt.

Furthermore, I past up a full ride to the US Air Force Academy when I graduated from high school. I had my congressional nomination, letters of rec. all set. I listened to a then current girlfriend who begged me not to go. Young, dumb, and naive. Two years later, weren't even together any more.

I have a high amount of respect for military personnel. A good amount of my family have been in the military, ranging from enlisted to officers. I've spoken with many people about what its like.

looked into border patroal... went to a seminar... they only pay $20sumthin k for the academy

Thats not true any longer. They now pay $3,000per month salary to start while in the academy and everything is covered for 5 months...room, board, and food. They also now cover uniforms. Most agents make $60-80k per year with 8-10hrs overtime per week by their 2nd or third year. I wouldnt even consider it if it paid only $20k per year. Plus, its not all about the money any more. I want to do something good with my life. I can make six figures and be miserable. Or, as an officer in the Navy, I can be making close to that in 5-7yrs and doing something I enjoy.

I'm leaning towards the Navy...

My best friend went into the Border Patrol about two years ago, and he loves it, makin like 70k a year already. Only thing that sucks is your on the Mexican border for the first couple years, before you can transfer to the canadian border, but it seems worth it. Hes stationed outta Casa Grande AZ. Let me know if you want more info, Im sure he would be willing to answer some ?'s for ya.

I'm in the navy but enlisted. I enjoy it most of the time. It has its up and downs you can say. The real painful part is leaving 6-7 months at a time. It wasent hard when i was just married but with kids its real rought when you get back and the kids hardley remember you. I do have to admit I have been all around the world and seen many places i never would of have if i didnt join. It also has to with what job you will hold while in. Boat or avaition Navy? I got about 8 yr in right now but thinking of getting out...Jac P.S. Stay away from the army...

Army! If you decide to go Army, go enlisted..... After your first 4 yr enlistment, then go officer, officers that are prior enlisted get paid more than officers that have no enlisted experience. You will also be able to know what it feels like and how the enlisted side works and it will help you when it comes to decision making that have impact on the morale of your soldiers.... You will get 125% productivity with soldiers who have high morale vs 30% productivity from soldiers with low morale. No employer in the usa can touch the military when it comes to benefits, especially when it comes to retirement.... medical for life! For some people that lack discipline, the military may not be the right place, but if you can handle it, it's not even close to bad... my only reccomendation is to go into a non combat arms job, so you will have somekind of technological skill if you choose to get out.....

What are yoiu looking to do in each different field of work? Alot of the job oppertunites that are offered in the navy are not offered by the army or BP, and vice versa. I would have to agree with dAt_nEw_gUy starting off enlisted then going officer is a better choice you get to see both side of the military. also are you a person that likes to work with your hand alot? if so i would stay away from officer at least in the navy aviation side of thing there are not to many jobs that allow officers to work with there hand unless they are pilots.

Army! If you decide to go Army, go enlisted..... After your first 4 yr enlistment, then go officer, officers that are prior enlisted get paid more than officers that have no enlisted experience.

The Same is true with the navy also.

Two of the Officer programs I am looking at with the Navy are Nuclear Propulsion Engineer and Aviation Engineer. The nuke jobs would place me on a sub, carrier, at the nuke school in South Carolina, or Washington DC nuke propulsion design center. The aviation engineer would place me in the navy aircraft design and maintenance area. I would be responsible for troubleshooting aircraft problems and making engineering changes for them. The third program I would consider would be finance and logistics.

The Army says they could get me into flight school for helicopters...possibly the army corp of engineers also. I plan to do something technical so that in the event I do want out, I can go make good money in a solid industry.

Too old for the Coast Guard for officer programs, they cut off at 25 for officer. I could enlist, but the officer pay is almost double. I also looked at the Nationl Guard, but I would probably end up as a rifleman in Iraq with under funded equipment (no armored humvees, etc.) and no good skills training, and its part time.