Lost 2nd Gear

well its been a while since ive been on, thats maybe a good thing in the sense of having problems. untill today. i pulled outta my driveway and took off down the street like i always do and when it went to shift, it hit 2nd but just spooled as if i was in Nuetral then finally once the RPMs were up it went to 3rd. i have a pretty solid tranny so i doubt its somthing major, i mean i wasnt beating on it and havent for a while, so maybe its somthing simple? im just trying to get some leads for my tranny shop. turns out the shop that built my tranny got bought out and the guy who built it took off...so im basically Fuc*d right now....anyone have similar problems or any ideas what could have caused it...???

Thanx Guys

BYN

Do you still have 1st gear or just 3rd and 4th now? Sounds similar as to what happened to mine, I wound up breaking a reaction carrier(lower planetary). Either that or you broke the forward sprag. Prepare yourself for a rebuild/replacement..........

Do you still have 1st gear or just 3rd and 4th now? Sounds similar as to what happened to mine, I wound up breaking a reaction carrier(lower planetary). Either that or you broke the forward sprag. Prepare yourself for a rebuild/replacement..........

yea i still have 1st 3rd and 4th...

How/why would it go about breaking a reaction carrier or a forward sprag...?

i was also told it might have been a band. its weird outta the blue it would do that?

yea i still have 1st 3rd and 4th...

How/why would it go about breaking a reaction carrier or a forward sprag...?

i was also told it might have been a band. its weird outta the blue it would do that?

with the track record that the 4L65E has around here, anything is possible...........

identicle to what happened to me you probably have no 2nd gear band left the next to go will be 3-4 dont drive it it may leave you stranded. time for a built unit

yea already there, i dont have the 2nd or 4th...so what consists of a built unit.?..i thought i stuffed everything in there i could that was an upgrade...(signature) what else do i need..?

yea already there, i dont have the 2nd or 4th...so what consists of a built unit.?..i thought i stuffed everything in there i could that was an upgrade...(signature) what else do i need..?

get you a nice oversized band for the 2-4 and dont drive it till you get it fixed for sure...will just cause more damage

get you a nice oversized band for the 2-4 and dont drive it till you get it fixed for sure...will just cause more damage

any leads to where i can pick up bands? and im hoping a reg trans. shop will do it for me..alot of places dont like to touch modified trans.

Try Oregan Performance they sell a lot on ebay....a few of us have ordered from them, they have fast shipping. Only bad thing is what if you broke more then that, i would tear it down see what you need then order the parts so you know for sure

Try Oregan Performance they sell a lot on ebay....a few of us have ordered from them, they have fast shipping. Only bad thing is what if you broke more then that, i would tear it down see what you need then order the parts so you know for sure

yea that was my plan. im juss tryn to plan ahead, well bro thanks alot..ill bring this post back up if i run into any new problems...

BYN

My guess would also be a forward sprag. I'm assuming that in order to get it to move you have to pull it down to first or second. If you hurt the band you won't have 4th. I wouldn't buy any parts until you get it apart.

heres somthing i trans. shop e-mailed me about my problem..anyone have input.

"Many time if you run those transmissions at high rpms before the gear change the band will wear out and damage the drum, this is normally from the inertia from the torque converter weight. This is normally corrected by using a smaller diameter torque converter. The servo can also create this problem."

From a tech @ Bonded Transmission

Edited by BreakYaNeckSS (see edit history)

"Many time if you run those transmissions at high rpms before the gear change the band will wear out and damage the drum, this is normally from the inertia from the torque converter weight. This is normally corrected by using a smaller diameter torque converter. The servo can also create this problem."

OMG :crackup: So lemme get this right, if I install a 8-inch 4500-RPM stall converter my slipping band problem will go away??? :crackup: :crackup:

The first time that I had my tranny built it was set-up with a Corvette servo, and it grabbed 2nd SO HARD that it would stall the motor; that was with a billet converter weighing the same as the stock converter shifting at 6200. I assure you there was NO slippage :lol: and later teardowns confirmed this.

The band wears out because it's allowed to slip; funny thing about the 2/4 band, they are not very forgiving. When the band is new, it has 100% grip/friction area, but if it slips then a little of the friction material burns as a consequence, so now you have like 99% friction area surviving.. then next time the remaining 99% is overstressed it burns again, the damage is even worse, and the band is now headed down a one-way road of cascading failure until eventually all the friction material is toast. Used 2/4 bands will look like brand new, or totally destroyed, very rarely in-between. In my own transmission over 50K-miles and 3 teardowns the ONLY thing that survived was that same Alto 2/4 wide band, all the other frictions totally destroyed at each teardown, and/or grenaded hard parts, but after all those years and miles that same band did not have so much as even a stripe on it, looked BRAND new and that shift calibration kicked like a f'n mule, when 2nd grabbed you thought the whole earth stopped turning for a split second. BUT, this last rebuild 10-months ago I decided to switch from the Corvette servo to a billet 2nd servo and I left too much clearance in the servo stackup, and once that band had been allowed to slip the first time it was all basically downhill from there and 10-months later = black band with friction material flaking off :(. So to counter the critic, band life is all in the servo setup (clearance) and shift calibration.

While on the subject of bands - this is exactly why the graphite band was invented - you can't "burn" graphite, so any abuse a graphite band sustains will not "cascade" into a failed band over time, many guys are using the carbon/graphite band in Radix truck apps with success. But IMO the Alto wide band when setup correctly works a treat and with ATF temp at about 155-degrees bites down like a mofo. My 2-cents...

Zippy is right, get the transmission out and get it apart. From my experience, prepare your budget for a Alto red high-energy master kit. Do not use graphite frictions. Do get 9 clutches in the 3/4 stackup. Do block the 3rd accumulator passage completely. Stick with the servos that you've already got. Since you've toasted your band you will probably need a new drum, for sure if switching to the Alto wide band will require a new drum. Only use 1 washer in the 1-2 accumulator with the Transgo HD2C, resist the temptation to use 2. 4340 reaction collar IMO is a very worthwhile improvement, plus a beast shell, and heavy duty sprag. Install the hi-rev spring kit. I assume you already have modified the pump for high-output (10 or 13 vane). While you've got it apart install the 3-2 quick release kit mod from Sonnax. Can't remember much more off the top of my head but there always is...

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)