Improved Headlights

I CORNER

Have any of you SSS Gurus found any part #'s for GM German Export headlamp enclosures for the SSS truck? Germany requires the better quality glass enclosures. Glass is much better than plastic for high output halogen lights and HID bulbs do not work properly in filament headlamp enclosures.

Had to use GM German Export T84 Glass headlight enclosures to get good lighting on my 1996 Impala SS. I use the true H4 145/100W clear bulbs for 3 years now with zero problems.

There has to be some parts available for export SSSs and Avalanches, right? Thought 1 of you folks might know.

Rick R

I can only imagine the price for something like this. How do they stand up to rocks? I put in the silverstars and get more people flashing me, thinking I have brights on than ever before. Last thing I want to do is blind them more. How heavy are these enclosures?

I can only imagine the price for something like this. How do they stand up to rocks? I put in the silverstars and get more people flashing me, thinking I have brights on than ever before. Last thing I want to do is blind them more. How heavy are these enclosures?

:withstupid:

Silverstars have been working great for me also.

Well for the 1996 Impala SS, the T84 enclosures cost me $500, but the beam pattern was 300% better than the sorry US spec version plastic enclosures. The improvement was nearly as dramatic as HIDs. Except for the color, it puts out as much light as an HID; it just uses alot more current to do so with 145W/100W thick rally quartz halogen H4 bulbs (same bulbs have lasted nearly 3 years). No one ever flashes me, as the beam pattern is properly designed. That is the whole point of German Spec lights, as they don't put up with "ricer" type lights over there.

Compared to $240 for a pair of Impala SS US plastic enclosures that discolor anyway from heat, road grim and UV exposure, the risk of a rock taking one out is not significant.

The clear plastic enclosures on the SSS are pretty good and with a mod, you get 4 headlamps on high beam. However, the beam pattern could still be improved to German specs and it would be nice to increase output without overheating the plastic enclosures.

Just thought that some of you might know what the part #s might be.

Rick R

I to put silverstars in my truck, and also get people flashing me. 1 question guys, when they flash you, do you flash them back??? Some people leave their high beams on, as they think that I have on my high beams, so I pull the high beam stalk back, and hold it there till they pass me. sometimes they give me the finger, but hey, it's not my fault that they have bad eyes!!!! :lol:

I don't think Germany requires glass headlamps anymore.

I know someone that bought the T84 export headlamps for their 99-02 Silverado, and he said they were exactly the same as stock except for the diffusing pattern in the lens. They may have taken different bulbs, I'm not sure.

Anyway, they are in the GM parts catalogs, so you should be able to get the p/n from a GM dealer.

Well it is true that a truck sits higher and people in cars may think that you have your high beams on, when you get closer to them. I am not familiar with Silverstars, but I have found any bulb that is tinted blueish, provides the appearance of more glare regardless of whether it is higher wattage or higher lumen output or not. This is why I have stayed with clear high-output halogen bulbs. Re-aiming the low beams down slightly may help reduce the glare.

The T84s German Export Glass headlamp enclosures for the Impala SS are slightly heavier than the US plastic enclosures, but not enough to make any difference. they also swap the location of the high beams and low beams for that different appearance, that people can't quite place their fingers on.

Rick R

Archived