Rear Disk Conversion

TheGeorgiaKid

Does any one have the rear disk setup from their AWD SS that they want to sell that have upgraded to aftermarket?? I want to change my '06 to disk in the back & don't really want to spend the money for Baer or the Z06 setup. Also were the stock rear calipers on AWD SS's single or dual piston? If you're asking why I want to do this. I like the look of front & rear disk brakes, plus I like disk brakes better.

the rears were single piston... all you need to do is buy the backing plates/e brake assembly off someone and get some powerslots or used baers. once you have the backing plates, any setup fits.

btw, the drums on your truck work much better as far as stopping power goes. but it sounds like you know that, you want the look lol.

the rears were single piston...

The rear caliper is a dual piston on my 2004 SSS and if I"m not wrong 2003 to 2005 Allwheel Drive SSS were that way, they came with the Heavy duty brakes off the 2500 models.

the rears were single piston... all you need to do is buy the backing plates/e brake assembly off someone and get some powerslots or used baers. once you have the backing plates, any setup fits.

btw, the drums on your truck work much better as far as stopping power goes. but it sounds like you know that, you want the look lol.

I agree that the drum brakes are very good. To me a SS is like the Corvette of trucks & vettes have 4 wheel disk brakes, so I think the vette of trucks should too. Would I have to change the e brake cables too, are they different length & the hard brake lines are different, what about the proportioning valve is it different?

My parents have a '03 1500HD with 4 wheel disk brakes with dual piston calipers front & rear. I almost think the brakes are just as good or a little better than my SS.

Edited by TheGeorgiaKid (see edit history)

Yeah if I were you I would do an upgraded rear setup. I have 2500HD suburan calipers on mine. The rears do most of the stoping and wear out faster. Thats why in 05 the switched back the tried and true disk drum..

Did your '03 have single piston calipers originally?? Did you have to change the mounting brackets or did the 2500HD calipers bolt right on? The '03 1500HD we have as 60000 miles on it on the original rear pads & there is still plenty of pad left. That's sayin something I think.

No I had 2 piston calipers from day one. My pops works at NAPA and thats what they could come up with. I will tell you this I have a 1970 chevelle I have not once changed the rear pads. I have disk in front and drum rear. And they have alot of pad left. Also I have a 1988 GMC with well over 300,000. changed the rears once maybe twice because we had to change out the rear end. I am telling you. These trucks are heavy and most of the braking is done in the rear not the front. The only thing i can say is upgrade to the big 4 piston corvette calipers and and pads like I'm doing and it will help. Other then that slap some fresh paint on the drums and your good to go. like I said its my .02No I had 2 piston calipers from day one. My pops works at NAPA and thats what they could come up with. I will tell you this I have a 1970 chevelle I have not once changed the rear pads. I have disk in front and drum rear. And they have alot of pad left. Also I have a 1988 GMC with well over 300,000. changed the rears once maybe twice because we had to change out the rear end. I am telling you. These trucks are heavy and most of the braking is done in the rear not the front. The only thing i can say is upgrade to the big 4 piston corvette calipers and and pads like I'm doing and it will help. Other then that slap some fresh paint on the drums and your good to go. like I said its my .02

No I had 2 piston calipers from day one. My pops works at NAPA and thats what they could come up with. I will tell you this I have a 1970 chevelle I have not once changed the rear pads. I have disk in front and drum rear. And they have alot of pad left. Also I have a 1988 GMC with well over 300,000. changed the rears once maybe twice because we had to change out the rear end. I am telling you. These trucks are heavy and most of the braking is done in the rear not the front. The only thing i can say is upgrade to the big 4 piston corvette calipers and and pads like I'm doing and it will help. Other then that slap some fresh paint on the drums and your good to go. like I said its my .02No I had 2 piston calipers from day one. My pops works at NAPA and thats what they could come up with. I will tell you this I have a 1970 chevelle I have not once changed the rear pads. I have disk in front and drum rear. And they have alot of pad left. Also I have a 1988 GMC with well over 300,000. changed the rears once maybe twice because we had to change out the rear end. I am telling you. These trucks are heavy and most of the braking is done in the rear not the front. The only thing i can say is upgrade to the big 4 piston corvette calipers and and pads like I'm doing and it will help. Other then that slap some fresh paint on the drums and your good to go. like I said its my .02

Actually, in any vehicle, the fronts will do most of the braking, upwads of 70 to 80% of total braking. however the more braking the rears can do with out locking up allows the front to do even more

kind of swapping topics but rey is somewhat correct. alot depends on the abs system which is usaully tied into the proportioning valve which will determine how much of the brake pressure is applied without locking up . i have never dont the brakes on my truck however, only the aftermarket alumasports which wore evenly .

Actually, in any vehicle, the fronts will do most of the braking, upwads of 70 to 80% of total braking. however the more braking the rears can do with out locking up allows the front to do even more

yea, the fronts do almost all the work^^^

my mistake, the SSS did have 2 piston rear calipers. however, the SSS didnt have the 2500 brakes, those are much thicker rotors and a heavier duty caliper. the AWD SS had standard silverado 1500 brakes, as the RWD SS had standard 1500 brakes as well (they all got upped).

the rear drum was actually a main result of an e-brake problem the disc/hub assembly had for years. offroading and contamination was causing problems in the e-brake on the discs. they were getting warrantied left and right... also, the drums have much more surface area than the old discs, and were also more cost effective for GM to produce. there was a TSB about this, right around the production of the 05 trucks.