Thermostat 160

The thermostat helps everything run cooler...It opens sooner and yes you need a tune...dont waste money on a programmer to get full benefits of it....I believe there is a thread on here about taking a stock thermostat and cutting off part of the coil for the same effect but i cant remember.

I have heard that the lower temp T-stat increases volumetric efficiency because the incoming air will stay cooler if the engine temp is kept lower. This also allows the computer to put slightly more timing in to make more power.

You do need a tune if you have electric fans to turn them on at a lower temperature.

I have also heard that you need to have cold start enrichment end at a lower temperature or your gas mileage will suffer because the computer will not stop enriching the mixture since the temp is not high enough.

I could be full of crap. I sometimes am, I'm told. That's just the stuff I heard. I guess that would mean my sources were full of crap too. Who knows? Can anyone verify this stuff?

Mike