Anatomy Of The Mirror

catdaddy300

so does anyone know if you can just get the mirror glass not a whole mirror or any way to take the whole the mirror apart or hell what the hell is that green liquid in the mirror glass because it got all over my truck and it is not really comming off..... anything will help my stituation

so does anyone know if you can just get the mirror glass not a whole mirror or any way to take the whole the mirror apart or hell what the hell is that green liquid in the mirror glass because it got all over my truck and it is not really comming off..... anything will help my stituation

i believe the green stuff is what makes the mirror dim when the photocell on the inside rearview mirror senses darkness

Looking at the service manual it looks to be replaceable, and it had this warning:

Notice

When servicing electrochromic glass that is broken, or if glass breaks during servicing, be cautious not to spill electrochromic fluid onto vehicle. Doing so will cause damage to the vehicle.

I have not taken the mirror apart myself, however others in the past have and said it's very easy, it just pops out. In fact that's a real problem, because if you know the trick to it then it's a snap and about 3-4 years ago there was a rash of mirror thefts, and replacement glass for the pimped signal/heated/darkening mirror is $300 per at the dealer.

From the GM Service Manual:

----------------------------------

Mirror Face Replacement 6P3 - Removal Procedure

Notice

When servicing electrochromic glass that is broken, or if glass breaks during servicing, be cautious not to spill electrochromic fluid onto vehicle. Doing so will cause damage to the vehicle.

1. Adjust the mirror face fully upward in order to access the mirror retaining tab (4).
  2. Position a flat-bladed tool between the back side of the mirror face and the mirror housing at the notch in the mirror face.
  3. Depress the tab (4) on the back of the mirror face outward using the flat-bladed tool, while sliding the mirror face upward.
  4. Slide the mirror face upward to release the mirror face from the mirror motor retaining tabs (1).
  5. With the mirror face in hand, disconnect the electrical connectors (2).
  6. Remove the mirror face from the mirror housing.

Installation Procedure

6P3_Mirror_Illus.gif

1. Connect the electrical connectors (2) to the back of the mirror (3).
  2. Align the mirror motor retaining tabs (1) to the keyhole slots on the back of the mirror face.
  3. Insert the motor retaining tabs to the keyhole slots on the mirror face.
  4. Slide the mirror face downward until the retaining clip (4) latches.
  5. Adjust the mirror face ensuring the mirror motor tabs are fully engaged in the keyhole slots on the back of the mirror and the retaining tab (4) is engaged.

Mr. P. :)

I HAVE A NIB mirror glass that has heated t/s option for drivers' side for 150.00-genuine gm. dealer cost is like 365.00

yeah that green liquid is not good at all, it dried on and now i am going to have to scratch off every single little droplett so that i dont scratch the paint to bad i hope but with my luck it will probly stain the hell out of my door.... and i had no idea that the mirror had so many options, thats kool.....i kept wondering why it got like really dark for no reason

Ive been to numerous auto glass places near me since last november, and the only response I have gotten is I need a new mirror. That green gel is bad news. They told me they could cover the mirror with a new glass, but it will look fugly.