Putting Acceleration Into Perspective

misterp

I love going to TF races, if youi haven't you need to at least once no matter who you are.

Top Fuel Factoids:

Dragsters reach over 300+ MPH by the time you have reached the end of this sentence. At launch the acceleration approaches 8-G's. An NHRA Top Fuel dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth, quicker than a jet fighter plane, quicker than the space shuttle, quicker than snapping your fingers. 0 to 100 MPH in 0.8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run); 0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run). The current Top Fuel dragster 1/4-mile ET is 4.420 seconds (2004, Doug Kalitta); the top speed record is 337.58 MPH (2005, Tony Schumacher). The dragster encounters 6 negative G-forces upon deployment of twin 'chutes at 300+ MPH.

A 500 cubic-inch Top Fuel Hemi engine will make more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows at NASCAR's Daytona 500. On WOT this engine consumes 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes its jet fuel at the same rate but effectively produces 1/4th less power. A factory 426 Dodge Hemi cannot make enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger; in fact the TF Hemi motor running on gasoline would not be able to drive the supercharger either.

In a Top Fuel engine nitro methane is inhaled into the combustion chamber as a near-liquid; cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lockup at full throttle. The flame front temperature for nitro methane measures 7050 degrees F, compared to pump gasoline which is about 4500 degrees F. Nitro methane burns yellow; the spectacular white flames seen above the exhaust stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen that has been split from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44-amps to each spark plug, the typical output of an arc welder; spark plugs are totally consumed by 1/2-track during each pass, after which point the engine is 'dieseling' from compression and the glow of the exhaust valves. Nitro methane has roughly the same explosive energy as TNT, if spark fails early in the run the unburned nitro lingers in the cylinder and then explodes with enough force to blow the cylinder heads off or split the block in half. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load. The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM. Assuming all the equipment is paid for, the pit crew works for free, & NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1000 per second.

Some Perspective:

Imagine this: you are driving a twin-turbo powered Corvette Z-06, and over a mile up the road a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch as you pass. You get to start first, running the 'Vette flat-out and you meet the dragster at the starting line with an honest 200-MPH flying start. The dragster departs after you and suddenly you hear an incredibly brutal screaming whine that seares and pummels your eardrums & within a mere few seconds the dragster effortlessly catches & passes you. From a standing start the dragster spotted you 200-MPH and not only caught but nearly blasted you off the planet passing you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

THAT is acceleration!

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Some Perspective:

Imagine this: you are driving a twin-turbo powered Corvette Z-06, and over a mile up the road a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch as you pass. You get to start first, running the 'Vette flat-out and you meet the dragster at the starting line with an honest 200-MPH flying start. The dragster departs after you and suddenly you hear an incredibly brutal screaming whine that seares and pummels your eardrums & within a mere 3-seconds the dragster effortlessly catches & passes you. From a standing start the dragster spotted you 200-MPH and not only caught but nearly blasted you off the planet passing you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

THAT is acceleration!

Mr. P. :)

Bwha...Ahh ..yeah!! I'm sending that to mythbusters have them recreate that one. That's pretty knarly P. I haven't seen tf since I was in high school. Sick sick sport!!

I love it!! Been to MANY IHRA and NHRA events...but i LOVE the pit action...tearing down the engines and fireing them up while smelling the nitro up close and personal !! I have autographs from Kenny Bernstein,John Force ,Big Daddy Don Garlits,Bob Glidden..to name a few and video of my 1st wife dancing with John Force in the staging lanes before he was really big!! LOVE IT!! Plus being from N.C ..been to many NASCAR races!!! :cheers: I belive my 1st NHRA event was 1972!!!