Gm Cancels Pontiac Sport Truck

I read the article in theStreet.com, but I guess it was originally reported by Automotive News.

"General Motors has canceled plans to build the Pontiac G8 sport truck that was scheduled to go on sale this year. The decision to scrap the two-door vehicle with a six-foot bed that's reminiscent of the Chevrolet El Camino was reported Tuesday by trade publication Automotive News. Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson confirmed the decision Wednesday, saying it's part of GM's "ongoing review" related to its long-term viability plan. Hopson says the sport truck didn't fit with the company's vision for Pontiac."

You can read the full article here.

Edited by ShirtaDay.com (see edit history)

Say good bye to Pontiac gentlemen. Word on the street is the brand name is going to be cut!

Closing down a brand name is very costly, as GM experienced when they shut down Oldsmobile. They will have to pay the dealers/dealer network a lot of money. Pontiac may stick around, just in a reduced or different form. New models may be cut, such as the G8 based sport truck.

There was word of shutting down Saturn and selling off Hummer. Those two and Saab would be my guesses before they shut down Pontiac.

Personally I think all the vehicles that are the same but with different brand names should be absorbed back into the parent company. Like the GMCs that are the same thing as Chevys but called something else. Ford has several vehicles like this also. I don't see a reason to drop a brand that has unique vehicles like Pontiac having the G series cars that none of the other GM brands do but definately get rid of the GMC brand as everything they make is also made as a Chevy.

Personally I think all the vehicles that are the same but with different brand names should be absorbed back into the parent company. Like the GMCs that are the same thing as Chevys but called something else. Ford has several vehicles like this also. I don't see a reason to drop a brand that has unique vehicles like Pontiac having the G series cars that none of the other GM brands do but definately get rid of the GMC brand as everything they make is also made as a Chevy.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), GMC has a pretty strong brand name and that is not something that they are considering cutting. Additionally, the added cost of maintaining the GMC name and vehicles is very small (relatively speaking). Pontiac is a little more expensive and Saturn even more so. It's the brands that don't make money which are going to get cut. And even though Pontiac isn't on the immediate chopping block, b/c they still have hope that these new models will sell, it will most likely eventually go under since it's never really made money for GM.

Now GM is excessive in having multiple versions of the same vehicle. Take the GMC Acadia which is also the Buick Enclave and the Saturn Outlook (I think that's the one?) and now the Chevy Traverse. True, they are all somewhat different, but basically the same vehicle. The costs here are much greater than having the Cobalt and G5 for example, which are almost identical.

From what I was reading, GM is not going to close Pontiac down completely but it will be in a merge of buick-pontiac-gmc...and the name Pontiac will be for specialty vehicles of that merged brand.

This was straight from GM's web site.

Restructuring_Plan_for_Long_term_Viability.pdf

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)

Kind of disapointed honestly, I thought that truck would be something special (especially since they had 50 cent taking photographs with it).

Seemed like that could have had a lot of potential at the strip with mods.

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Say good bye to Pontiac gentlemen. Word on the street is the brand name is going to be cut!

That would suck i owned 4 grand prix's over the last 13-14 years and thought they were great cars. i loved my last one an 04 grand prix GTP CompG it had some cool options like HUD ,TAP shift and the most comfortable seats.

Edited by 1stimeSSguy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

that was a year ago, but i personally don't think it would sell too well kinda like the SSR although it does look better than the SSR, i still don't think it would be too popular the way everyone is going to civics and hybrids.