5.3l Engine Starting Problems

I have a '99 Silverado RCSB with 5.3L. No tune, and only a few bolt on mods (shorty headers, electric fans, 160* stat). The truck has had a problem starting for the past year or so when you first get in it. It acts like you have to prime the pump or something to start. If you jump in and turn the key it will just turn over; turn the key again and it will just turn over, then finally on the third round it will start. The way I've been dealing with it is turn the key on and off a few times before trying to start it to let the fuel pump run. Is there a simple fix to this problem?

When you turn the key initially, do you hear the fuel pump prime?

I replaced the pump about two years ago and before I replaced it, it made a very loud whining noise when the truck ran and when it primed; and the fuel gauge didn't work. My fuel gauge has since quit working again but the fuel pump is not loud like before and that is why I thought it may be something else.

Edited by BlueByYou (see edit history)

But do you hear it prime? You should still hear the pump prime when turning the key to "Run"....

A few things to check....fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and wires, and clean the MAF and TB. Since your gas guage is not working again, the possibility is there that the sending unit is starting to go bad, not the pump itself.

Last question, how low do you run your gas tank before filling it?

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

But do you hear it prime? You should still hear the pump prime when turning the key to "Run"....

A few things to check....fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and wires, and clean the MAF and TB. Since your gas guage is not working again, the possibility is there that the sending unit is starting to go bad, not the pump itself.

Last question, how low do you run your gas tank before filling it?

Yes I can hear it run when the key is first turned, I guess I haven't listened close enough to tell if the tone changes signaling it is primed. I have changed the plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, and MAF (maybe a few times) since this started and nothing changed. Could it be a fuel pressure regulator or something like that? The truck has about 200,000 miles on it, and (knock on wood) I've never been inside the engine. As for the tranny, it has been inside of a dozen times or so. I had nitrous on it at one time and all the bolt on bells and whistles until I bought my SSS, which at that time I went back to stock so that I could drive it to work everyday. I didn't change everything all at one time, it was a progressive change over a few years. I have no clue what this could be.

Guess it was the pump afterall, I was riding around last night, truck shut off running about 50 mph. I replaced the filter while on the side of the road, no luck. Turned the key on and off several times to see if fuel would come out of the line with the filter off, got nothing. Sucks!

One question, could I place an inline electric fuel pump on the truck without replacing the stock pump? Just wondering if the pump would allow the fuel to flow through it. Thanks!

One question, could I place an inline electric fuel pump on the truck without replacing the stock pump? Just wondering if the pump would allow the fuel to flow through it. Thanks!

Not worth the trouble, its easier to drop the tank out of the truck and replace the pump the proper way. You should be able to get the truck to start by wrapping on the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while someone cranks the truck over.......

Not worth the trouble, its easier to drop the tank out of the truck and replace the pump the proper way. You should be able to get the truck to start by wrapping on the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while someone cranks the truck over.......

we always took the 8 bolts out of the bed and set the bed back on the tires/bumper. then it doesn't matter how full the tank is. as long as you have a couple of buddies to help this is eaiest IMO. don't for get to disconnect wiring harness and filler neck/ground.