I Hate Emission Testing!

scooter3

If you live in Arizona you are required to have your vehicle tested for emissions if it is 5 years or older. So this year my wifes truck was due. I have not been to emissions for a long time, because I usually don't keep vehicles longer then 5 years. So off I went to the testing site. Back in the day they used to do a sniffer test, check for cats, check that you have not tampered with the fuel filler and check under the hood for any mods. Well today I pulled up, gave him $27 and all he did was plug something into the port of the truck to check for codes. Took all of 3 minutes. That was it. Now I have to pay the tags on the truck which will be another $250. The tags on the SS are due next month so that is going to cost me about $600. :banghead: Can you say bend over? Geez I hate AZ sometimes!!! I'm done. :D

:rant:

Yeah they do that here in Nevada every year no matter how old ur car is! It's only $20 to get you emission test here but to register your car they rip you the f*ck off. They go off your msrp..I just registered my car last month a 04 nissan sentra and it was $200.

Edited by WODY'S GIRL (see edit history)

I don't miss them checks. It's been 18 years since I left Cali and I haven't had to deal with "Smog Checks" since :)

Here in MO they require Safety Inspections. They check more important things like your headlights, blinkers, brakes, and brake lines, tires, wipers, windshild for cracks, horn, they'll look to see if the cats are there (That's our smog check)...

I just got mine done. The inspection cost $10.00. My tags are going to be $61.00 for a 2 years worth.

Sorry to hear their bending you over without vaseline.

here in New Mexico some counties enforce emissions, where my vehicles are registered they don't worry about them so much! they send you a re-registration letter in the mail, you pay for it online (i think the truck cost about $85-$100 or somthing like that but my 84 Firebird cost something like $65)

Edited by BG06SILVERADO (see edit history)

In NY all vehicles must have a visual safety inspection, brakes, tires, lights, presence of cats, etc. All vehicles '96 and newer get an ODB read, anything '95 and older gets dynoed/sniffed. If a vehicle is over 25 years old, its gets a safety only inspection. If a vehicle is 2 years old or newer, all it requires is a safety inspection. Complete inspection costs $37, while safety only is $20....inspections are done yearly.

600 bucks to register your SS. Holly Crap I hope you brought the Lube. How often do you have to get new tags? Here in Oregon its every 2 years and it only cost me 50 bucks. Man now im not looking forward to moving to Arizona

You are required to get new tags every year. You can pay each year or you can do two year tag. Two year tags are not much cheaper. The cost is reflective on the MSRP of the vehicle so what ever it says on your title is what they use as a reference. I think it is a bunch of BS. Just pulling more money out of drivers pockets for Az. It really takes away from the mod fund!

As long as NV dose not go to a sniffer and sticks to the OBDII Im fine with the 25$ they charge for smog inspection. I pass with gutted cats, Big ass cam 232/239 112lsa, F1r, Vic Jr intake, long tubes, no Evap and so on and so forth. I do have to throw my MAF on though there is no way to work around that code. They dont even pop the hood or check for cats they just plung into the OBDII and if there are no codes you pass. :D

Edited by dozer (see edit history)

As long as NV dose not go to a sniffer and sticks to the OBDII Im fine with the 25$ they charge for smog inspection. I pass with gutted cats, Big ass cam 232/239 112lsa, F1r, Vic Jr intake, long tubes, no Evap and so on and so forth. I do have to throw my MAF on though there is no way to work around that code. They dont even pop the hood or check for cats they just plung into the OBDII and if there are no codes you pass. :D

AMEN. The OBDII is the best thing to happen to the modern hot rod guys. I'll gladly pay the $75 I pay for inspection. :cheers: