tonneau covers

I am looking to get a tonneau cover.On all my prior trucks a classic snap on cover has been fine .I am looking to get a hard cover for my SS and want to keep the tailgate cap.I did a search and the Gaylords Speedsturr Wing Lid looks great.It will cost me around $1300. That is more than what I want to spend.The Snuglid looks great also, but the nearest dealer is several states away from me.On the internet I found the company A.R.E and on their site(www.4are.com)they have a black SS pic that looks like it might fit around the tailgate cap.I have e-mailed them about this and there is a dealer in my area that I will visit this week for more details.I am just wandering if anyone has one of these covers? :crazy:

Randy

I looked into the ARE. Nice, and you can keep your cap. I just didn't like the body lines on the back side. They made it to resemble the hood line. I went with a Leer for $850.00 installed. I'm happy with it. Also...I didn't care for my ARE dealer :nonod:

I talked to my local dealer and they called ARE to confirm that the SS cover would fit around the tailgate cap :P . They offered a reasonable price, but said they have not installed this cover. when I asked them if it looked like a smooth fit.I am going to order this cover as long as I have the option of going back to a normal Silverado cover without the SS cap.

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. I will update my pics soon.

Randy

When I was looking for a hard tonneau cover, I saw a red ARE cover for a Silverado SS (my truck is Arrival Blue). I did not care for the looks of the ARE, as it tried to mirror the lines of the front of the truck (the V-shape lines of the hood). It just looked wierd on the rear of the truck! However, it did fit over the Silverado SS stock tailgate cap. My cost with carpet liner would have been about $900. They have an option for an electric lock now too.

Rick R

:chevy: I have an A.R.E. top on my SS... Fits like a glove and the tailgate cap is in place.... The only (if that) drawback is the dust that accumulates on the cap under the ARE top. Needs to be cleaned (like I wouldn't do it anyway), every time the truck is washed. very nice top and the closer "shocks" and arms work great.. The nicest part is that the top and the frame and hinges are all one piece.. When you want to remove the top, you loosen 4 clamps, close the top and lift everything off the bed!!

Hope you enjoy.

I ordered my ARE top last Tuesday. I feel better knowing that someone else has this top installed on a SS. As I have not seen this top on a SS other than in a small pic on thier website, I am concerned about the fit of the top. The price seems fair-the top installed with the carpet lining,keyless entry using my factory transmitters and I am even having my side widows tinted to match the rear side windows and it will cost me around $950. They said about two weeks before installation. I will update my pics when installed :P

Thanks for all the input,

Randy

• 4 weeks later...

Archived