Cam Questions

i got a 4.8l stock in the form of big mods.

i want to get the cam, headers and a tune at the same time.

but what else should i get. i want a real choopy cam

stall converter? lifters? anything i need immediately?

how much power are the stock 4l60 trannys design to be able to handle?

thanks for ur input

what are your future goals?

idk about the 4.8 but on the 6.0 the stock 4l60e can handle some added power but i would get a shift kit and servos.

if your gonna add nitrous or any kind of power adder later then it would be better to get a built unit

then looking for a cam look for a 112 lobe seperation (LSA)

stock 4l60e i think maybe 500 hp/torque

ppl on here with mp112 can maybe get by with a shift kit and a lil bit of trans mods but most go with built units

stall depends on the cam but its better to get a cam that matches the stall not the other way around

valve springs will be a must

what are your future goals?

idk about the 4.8 but on the 6.0 the stock 4l60e can handle some added power but i would get a shift kit and servos.

if your gonna add nitrous or any kind of power adder later then it would be better to get a built unit

then looking for a cam look for a 112 lobe seperation (LSA)

stock 4l60e i think maybe 500 hp/torque

ppl on here with mp112 can maybe get by with a shift kit and a lil bit of trans mods but most go with built units

stall depends on the cam but its better to get a cam that matches the stall not the other way around

valve springs will be a must

can u name a few sites where i can find all these

There is absolutely no way that a stock 4L60E will ever handle 500ft/lbs torque....in a nutshell, this is what I can think of off the top of my head of what you will need........

camshaft

hardened pushrods

valve springs

larger injectors

stall(to match your cam choice)

shift kit

billet servos

allumunum accumulator pistons

larger trans cooler

LT headers(if in your budget)

tuning

gaskets, fluids, etc.

What is your budget and goals for the truck?

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Personally, rather than drop that money on the 4.8L, I recommend looking for a slightly used low miles LQ9 or LQ4 and do an engine swap. Right now, you have what? 275-285hp? I forget what the 4.8 has. With a cam and headers and tuning you might see north of 350hp, but not a whole lot more. Depends on which cam you go with and who your tuner is. For the cost of what you are going to spend on a cam and headers, you can find that LQ9 (theres one for sale on the board right now in the classifieds) and slip it right in, still do the tranny mods, have more torque, similar horsepower gains, and much better foundation/building block for the future. Save up your money and do a head/cam swap in the 6.0L down the road, and you could see up to 500hp NA if done right. Its cheaper if you can do all the wrenching yourself. There are a couple of guys who have done it and would know exactly all that is involved if you are willing to turn the wrench.

Other than that, Dan's list above looks fairly complete. Good luck.

-i agree with black2003ss if you had the budget go with a 6.0 swap

-fireman has everything listed

-transmission- www.finishlinetrans.com

-everything else- www.texas-speed.com, www.thunderrracing.com, www.futralmotorsports.com

-tuning- www.gowheatley.com, www.blackbearperformance.com, www.zippyperformance.com

There is absolutely no way that a stock 4L60E will ever handle 500ft/lbs torque....in a nutshell, this is what I can think of off the top of my head of what you will need........

camshaft

hardened pushrods

valve springs

larger injectors

stall(to match your cam choice)

shift kit

billet servos

allumunum accumulator pistons

larger trans cooler

LT headers(if in your budget)

tuning

gaskets, fluids, etc.

What is your budget and goals for the truck?

ya i was way off..

with a shift kit could it handle around 425 ft/lbs?