Air Intake - Vararam Tri-power Ram Air?

QuixSilver

http://www.vararam.com/tri-power/tri-power.html So I'm looking to buy an aftermarket air intake system & came across the Vararam. It claims of horsepower gains of 25-50.. I'm wondering if anybody here has one or knows of someone who does? Is it better than a volant air intake? What are your opinions...? In addition, I'm also going to purchase an airaid TB spacer, JET mass airflow sensor, and a custom tune from one of the notables although not sure who yet. Soo opinions everyone?? :help: Thanks.

dont know much about the ram air, but don't buy the tb spacer or the maf sensor. Total waste of money imo, save that $400 and go get some headers. Go get the tune that is going to be your best bang for the buck.

Yeh.. that's what I've been hearing about the spacer & maf from others. Well, who in your opinion is the best tune? I know of the 2-3 main guys but I'm thinkin Wheatley because I heard he lives here in Houston & seems to be pretty popular on the site. Headers -- thinkin JBA shorties.

Yeah I have heard alot of good things about wheatley, and he does'nt charge for retunes. I wen't with zippy and I love the tune, but I have added more mods and need a re-tune and it's gonna cost me $60. As far as the shorties, I have them and it gave me right at 10whp (dyno proven), but if you are wanting to get about 25whp, go ahead and get some nice lts. Obx and pacesetter are going to be your best bet.

Yeh.. that's what I've been hearing about the spacer & maf from others. Well, who in your opinion is the best tune? I know of the 2-3 main guys but I'm thinkin Wheatley because I heard he lives here in Houston & seems to be pretty popular on the site. Headers -- thinkin JBA shorties.

since u live in houston hit up charlie wheatley...or run to san antonio and hit up allen nelson at nelson performance..both guys are really two top notch tuners

I have the VR6 I would trade it in a min for a volant

I've got a VR6 also. It's better than stock (I think) but there surely isn't 25HP in it. Not so sure the "ram air" is all that great either, the bridge just sorta hangs there. Guess it does provide a path for the air, but with the hood liner it just bounces around (not smoothly.) I've had it on about a year now and you can tell on the hood liner where the "ram air" sits form all the moisture and dust that has accumulated. Also the fit of the whole unit is kinda shakey. Not really enough lip to get the hose clamps to bite on over the rubber attachment tubes.

:flag:

Edited by Hrtbeat1 (see edit history)

Yeah I have heard alot of good things about wheatley, and he does'nt charge for retunes. I wen't with zippy and I love the tune, but I have added more mods and need a re-tune and it's gonna cost me $60. As far as the shorties, I have them and it gave me right at 10whp (dyno proven), but if you are wanting to get about 25whp, go ahead and get some nice lts. Obx and pacesetter are going to be your best bet.

Well the lts sound good but I live in harris co... very restrictive emissions. Doesn't the lts remove the factory cats upon installation? I'm thinkin that they do although not too sure..

Hey man. DON"T GET A Throttle body spacer. Buy a K&N Cold air intake. Not the metal one. Get the Plastic one. It will give you the best power advantage. K&N has a million mile warranty. Most Off road racers use them for the best filtration against dirt and high dust. The last intake you'll need, just get the cleaning kit. Not sure about the Mass air flow sensor but here's why i'm not a fan. No matter where you drive the ideal air reading is 14.7. because the air we breathe is 14.7 percent oxygen. The air flows sensors job is to calculate air to fuel nothing more. Unless your changing altitude a lot the mass air flow sensor will not read different. If you want to gain a lot of hp induce pure oxygen. But that in turn will burn more fuel at an exponential rate. Ram air is only effective after 100 mph. Pontiac found that out when the originally tested it on the GTO Judge. Another thing. Don't get headers. You will be changing the exhaust manifold gaskets at every street corner. Go for a mandrel bent cat-back exhaust system. Depending on your spare tire location get duels. 3 and half sounds best. If you want more hp and ft lbs of torque. Buy MSD ignitions blast coils, new wires (8.5mm) plugs and cap. Questions?

Gearwrencher.

umm since when was ram air only good after 110 mph an engine is like the human body the more air to the lungs the better it does and if you go with copper or alum gasket for headers and apply high heat thread lock to the bolts then you should have no prob i ran hooker shorties on my 93 5.7 silvy and never had to retighten. O and didnt the dyno runs show that K@N was not the best intake i think AEM Brute Force bet it so anyway just my thoughts a that

Well the lts sound good but I live in harris co... very restrictive emissions. Doesn't the lts remove the factory cats upon installation? I'm thinkin that they do although not too sure..

The Dynatech SuperMaxx long tube headers can be had with three combinations, just the headers, headers and off road extentions (no cats), or with headers and high flow cats. They will run you anywhere from about $900 for just the headers to $1500 for the headers with cats. Yes they are replacements for the factory cats, but a good tuner should be able to keep you with in emmissions specs.

PS We go through Cypress each time we go to see the in-laws. They are in The Woodlands.

:flag:

Hey man. DON"T GET A Throttle body spacer. Buy a K&N Cold air intake. Not the metal one. Get the Plastic one. It will give you the best power advantage. K&N has a million mile warranty. Most Off road racers use them for the best filtration against dirt and high dust. The last intake you'll need, just get the cleaning kit. Not sure about the Mass air flow sensor but here's why i'm not a fan. No matter where you drive the ideal air reading is 14.7. because the air we breathe is 14.7 percent oxygen. The air flows sensors job is to calculate air to fuel nothing more. Unless your changing altitude a lot the mass air flow sensor will not read different. If you want to gain a lot of hp induce pure oxygen. But that in turn will burn more fuel at an exponential rate. Ram air is only effective after 100 mph. Pontiac found that out when the originally tested it on the GTO Judge. Another thing. Don't get headers. You will be changing the exhaust manifold gaskets at every street corner. Go for a mandrel bent cat-back exhaust system. Depending on your spare tire location get duels. 3 and half sounds best. If you want more hp and ft lbs of torque. Buy MSD ignitions blast coils, new wires (8.5mm) plugs and cap. Questions?

Gearwrencher.

I have to disagree with your statement on LT headers. If you get a quality set like Dynatech you won't be changing exhaust manifold gaskets. If you are changing gaskets that often you have a sh.tty set of gaskets. Lt's and a tune alone made a huge difference in my setup. :cheers: