A Few Questions From A New Ss Owner.

zachm89

I'm new to the site and recently bought an '04 Silverado SS. A few questions right out of the box though... I got the truck for a great price, however, my speedometer doesnt work all of the time. I've heard that there was a recall on the gauge cluster some time back but it was never fixed apparently. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is it an easy/inexpensive fix? Also, I've been looking for a Ram Air intake kit for the truck, I wasnt sure if there were any available that ran the intake tubes down to the air dams in the bumper or not? And any suggestions on Custom Tunes would be really helpful.

Thanks, Zach

you can find gauges all over the net.. few clusters for sale on here aswell.. or try ebay

never seen a " out of the box " intake system ran to the brake ducts, that would be custom work. Most aftermarket systems use your stock intake box location

tune... wheatley and zippy seem to be the most popular.. you can contact both on this site

hope this helps :cheers:

Volat makes a CAI with an optional attachment like your talking about that runs down into the brake ducts on the bumper. Few have seen much gain from this product though. As far as a tune, depending on your location you can have a mail order tune like mentioned above or find a tuner local that can dyno tune your truck. And MANY people have had the gauge cluster problem. Like also stated above if Your truck has under 70,000 miles then the dealer will fix it for free.

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. I can tell already that this site is going to help me out alot. Unfortunately the truck has just over 72,000 miles so the dealer was going to charge me $400 for the gauge cluster. Instead i told them that i would get it done on my own so they subtracted the 400 bucks from the sale price which was already a steal in my opinion. Im located in East Texas and ive heard from a few friends that there is a guy locally that has done custom tunes on a couple of SS trucks and Trailblazers around here. For right now my main focus is on the gauges, exhaust and cai and eventually get around to a custom tune.

The stepper motor is gong bad most likely. Go on ebay and buy a new one (maybe a couple extra while your at it) then unsolder the bad one, and solder in the new one. Search the subject and you will find a how to on the net. I did mine in me 03 and I was back in business in 30 minutes. Cheap and easy.

if you argue with the dealer enough they will replace it for free under warranty, your 2k miles over, big deal. Try a different dealer because there is no reason you should have to pay. Did you ask the previous owner if it was swapped out for a new one?

Volant is a good intake, I have ran the volant and the AEM brute force, liked them both but the Volant seems to be better but its almost impossible to tell truthfully, just going off of MPG's with the volant.

The dealership i bought it at seemed pretty firm on charging me for the fix. I havent had any contact with the previous owner to see why he never bothered to take it in...there are a few local chevy dealers in town so if they wont go ahead and honor it ill figure something else out. would be nice to not have to pay for it though!

As far as intakes go ive been looking mainly at the Volant. Ive had K&N and AEM before and both are great, just kind of want to try something different. Im running just the K&N replacement filter for the time being. Also have a hooker aerochamber muffler on the way, from what ive heard on other vehicles including SS's they sound pretty nice without being TOO loud.

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)