Want To Buy Ss Have Questions

silverta16

I'm looking at a used 2003 SS. I have lots of questions, hope you guys can help. I've found several trucks around 100,000 miles that are priced very reasonable. I'm just wanting a truck to drive, not to modify. Would you stay away from these miles? Any problems associated with these trucks I should know about when I'm looking? How about the AWD does it hold up well in stock applications? Any quirks or problems associated with these trucks? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by silverta16 (see edit history)

What I meant by modding was I wasn't interested in making it a pure hot rod toy, I want it to be my daily driver. I plan on lowering it, exhaust, and making it a good looking clean truck. I've had SS Camaro's and Trans Am's, looking for something more user friendly. I've always drove sport trucks with suspension drops, and big wheels. Base trucks just aren't me. I've always been drawn to the SS's since they came out but couldn't afford one when they were new. I'm amazed how affordable they are. Really for the $12,000 trucks I've been looking at, you'd be hard pressed to find a base truck with similiar options and miles for the money. I don't really need a 4x4 because I don't hit the woods, and love the SS styling, but I need something that will pull a trailer. I'd looked at 3/4 ton trrucks for the 6.0 but don't need a farm truck. Basically I'm looking for a sport truck that'll serve double duty as daily driver and trailer puller for hauling junk home. Plus look good while doing it.

What kind of Issues happen with the AWD? What's to many miles? How good are the 6.0's?

If you dont need 4x4 why would you want AWD?

Go for the chevy V-Max, sounds like a perfect fit for ya.

Be carefull on the trucks that are affordable or seem to good to be true pricewise; they are probably money pits.

Yes there are a few common issue's that many SSS's have, the front diff, guage cluster, steering shaft, and transmission. If you find one that suites what you are looking for, have these problem areas checked by a competent independent mechanic along with the entire truck. Also inquire about the service history and records....a well maintained truck should be fine. As far as the 6.0 LQ9 goes, as long as you change the oil, they are pretty stout. Don't let mileage discourage you, good luck with your search. :cheers:

My 2003 has been fine and I've got 84K miles and around 30K of those have been super charged. The ss is a good truck. AWD is sweet if you ask me. I've had 4X4 and AWD is not the same. AWD does help with bad weather but it's not 4X4. My 2001 Siverado would drive 1000 times better in the bad weather than my ss but the AWD is more of a sport thing. If possible I would pull up the maintainance history on these high mile trucks. Good luck with your search :cheers:

My 2003 has been fine and I've got 84K miles and around 30K of those have been super charged. The ss is a good truck. AWD is sweet if you ask me. I've had 4X4 and AWD is not the same. AWD does help with bad weather but it's not 4X4. My 2001 Siverado would drive 1000 times better in the bad weather than my ss but the AWD is more of a sport thing. If possible I would pull up the maintainance history on these high mile trucks. Good luck with your search :cheers:

What happens to the front diff's?

What happens to the front diff's?

They seem to go out in these trucks. Mine has made noise but still holding together. A front diff rebuilt can cost you $1K or more. Chevy didn't do the best job in building these AWD monsters.

Just like SSthunder said, the front diffs tend to go out. I am not a mechanic but my dealership told me the front diff has problems due to the power ratio on the front to rear on the AWD systems. It pumps out more power to the front, resulting in more stress on the front differential.

For instance, my dealership likes to do my front diff liquid changes more often than the rear to prevent any problems, since it is working a little bit harder than the rear diff.

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)

I have an 03 SS with 75K miles, about 15K i put on it, and no problems. Honestly, my awd does better in the snow than my 4X4 did. I wouldn't want to try and pull somebody out of the snow with it, but it'll get me where I need to go. Like everyone else said, watch the front diff, guages, steering shaft etc. But I've had 0 problems with mine. Good luck

Well from what i know the AWD transfer case has had some issuse but other than that they hold up pretty well. If the awd isnt a must have for you get a 06-07 with 2wd and not have to worry about the t-case im pretty sure you'll find one in this market for a pretty good price.

• 2 weeks later...

98K miles here 04 AWD SS... no major problems. There are some noises now. A hum here and click there. No biggie though. I have noticed a ton of power loss though. Just FYI.

Oh yea, my mpg dropped pretty good too... almost 2 to 3 mpg less now.

Edited by page305 (see edit history)