Retrax Bedcover

I need input from anyone that has used or seen the retrax system on rolltopcover.com. Does it work well, can i install it myself, how much is average cost, do i need to get bedrail caps first, how does it look, etc. Lots of questions, anyone got answers? I need the versatility of being able to use the bed without having to take off a solid cover. Thanks for any help. :D

I researched this cover a lot, I was ready to buy it, but I wanted something more secure. If someone gets on it and jumps on it, it'll colapse, but otherwise its strong.It was the best retractable bed cover I researched Average cost is about $800 and you dont need to buy anything extra for it and yes you can install it yourself

I have had the Retrax cover on my 04 Silverado for about 2 months and I am quite happy with it. I also looked at the Pace Edwards and the Roll n Lock covers but decided on the Retrax. I don't remember the exact cost but it was around $900 shipped, installation was not a problem but you will need two people to lift it on the truck, you do not need bed rails, I installed mine right on the top of the bed. The cover fits very well, looks outstanding and works much better than a Roll n Lock. I have noticed a small amount of dampness in the very front of the bed after driving in a really hard rain, I do not see any leakage when I wash the truck. You do lose part of your bed in the front where the cover rolls up into it's canister (of course this is the same on all roll up covers). I have a short bed truck and this loss is noticable, on my previous short bed I had a fiberglass cover which I was quite happy with except when I had to haul something tall, it was quite heavy, the wife and I could lift it off but it was a pain. I have not decided if I like having a roll cover better than the fiberglass or not. I have to admit that even though I like the looks of the Retrax I really liked the looks of the fiberglass cover better.

I went to locals speed shops and a couple cap stores. They told my pace and retrax are junk. They would sell it but that was all. Any problems with it were my problems. They are not strong enough to handle the freezing cold weather. Water gets in them and they break. They have sold many units and they always replace it with fiberglass or a roll top. I got a roll top. Not as pretty as fiberglass but folds completely out of the way. I can haul my lobster traps with out removing anything.

Any more input out there on the Retrax, i'd sure like to hear it. And for those that responded, i really appreciate it. It's great to get to a site where you can get input like this. Looking more and more like i'm going with a solid piece. GemTop looks pretty good. Again, any input on this would be great. Thanks again.

They are not strong enough to handle the freezing cold weather. Water gets in them and they break.

I talked to about 10-15 owners about this, and not ONE had any problem in cold weather or with leaks, your dealermust not install them right or something

Yep I called them up asking if they sold a retrax and they dont, they only sell a pace edwards, and those are totally different, those DO leak and they DO freeze up in the cold, as for the retrax its on sealed ball bearings, instead of just a sliding piece of metal

Again, i appreciate the replies. The more i think about it, the more i realize i need a rollaway. I don't want to be forced with trying to take off a solid piece every time i want to haul something taller than the sides. Sometimes you've got to take a chance...i'll let you guys know how it turns out. That's assuming that i'm not the only one interested. :sleep:

Again, i appreciate the replies. The more i think about it, the more i realize i need a rollaway. I don't want to be forced with trying to take off a solid piece every time i want to haul something taller than the sides. Sometimes you've got to take a chance...i'll let you guys know how it turns out. That's assuming that i'm not the only one interested. :sleep:

check this out, might work for you

http://undercoverinfo.com/

Archived