Lifter Noise On Cold Starts

Well as the title says I just noticed today what sounds to be a lifter noise. It is a ticking noise on cold start up in the morning. It is there for a few seconds and as soon as the oil pressure comes up its gone. Is this something serious I should worry about, and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Rob

Well as the title says I just noticed today what sounds to be a lifter noise. It is a ticking noise on cold start up in the morning. It is there for a few seconds and as soon as the oil pressure comes up its gone. Is this something serious I should worry about, and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Rob

skirtless pistons=normal noise at startup. if it doesnt go away, different story.

Ok thanks guys. I knew that there was a problem with the 4.2L I-6 that was in the TBs Bravadas etc. We had one in the shop and the lifters would collapse overnight cause alot of lifter noise on cold starts. We replaced all lifters under warranty then it was back two weeks later. There was a TSB about it. Coolant getting in the oil and collapsing the lifters. Also leaving a lot of build up making it appears as though the oil was not changed on a reg basis. We had to send out the head and check for cracks, no cracks found, no head gasket failure, etc. So TSB says its an internal crack in the block and to replace the engine.

So after that I, and hearing this I wanted to make sure nothing like that was happening with these engines.

Ok thanks guys. I knew that there was a problem with the 4.2L I-6 that was in the TBs Bravadas etc. We had one in the shop and the lifters would collapse overnight cause alot of lifter noise on cold starts. We replaced all lifters under warranty then it was back two weeks later. There was a TSB about it. Coolant getting in the oil and collapsing the lifters. Also leaving a lot of build up making it appears as though the oil was not changed on a reg basis. We had to send out the head and check for cracks, no cracks found, no head gasket failure, etc. So TSB says its an internal crack in the block and to replace the engine.

So after that I, and hearing this I wanted to make sure nothing like that was happening with these engines.

also the oil pump o-ring can cause this tick when started cold, but I think they fixed that in 01 or 02 which is before the SSS. I had to replace my lifters in my old 04 JG truck, ut only because the noise was getting worse and I had the heads off getting ported anyways.